Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rescued a Blue Heeler puppy ( about 10 months old). By rescue, i mean took her from a family member who kept her in a crate 24/7, never potty trained her, and basically neglected her. I’ve been working with her a lot and she’s doing really good, except she seems really protective of me. I currently live with my mom, little brothers, and my 70 year old aunt, and every time she hears a voice outside my room, she barks. I’ve introduced her to them and she doesn’t want to hurt them, she just barks until they start petting her. Is there any way to get her to stop barking at everyone? She’s not even a little bit aggressive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a new german shepherd pup that is a barker too. The best I have found when she gets vocal is to distract her with other things like her favorite toy. Or I get her training treats and start running through her training: sit, stay, heal, ect. That gets her mind off of the barking for a little while at least. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Perfect time to begin teaching the quiet command. Lots of ideas online. Some dogs are barkers though, no matter what you try.
Mine will be quiet in the house on command but If they see something when we are outside it's 50/50 luck.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,858 Posts
Sounds like she's trained them she gets a reward (petting) when she barks. I commend you for having a kind heart but cattle dogs are often ornery, intelligent, dogs with the stamina of a horse, and just as much in need of a physical and mental job to do.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My pointer never barked at all she was never around dogs .
After about 5 months she let out a supper loud bark during dinner one night and scared her self .
Then I got a poodle and still there was not much barking
Some dogs don’t do much barking

·
Premium Member
30,209 Posts
I currently live with my mom, little brothers, and my 70 year old aunt, and every time she hears a voice outside my room, she barks. I’ve introduced her to them and she doesn’t want to hurt them, she just barks until they start petting her. Is there any way to get her to stop barking at everyone?
Is she in your room with the door closed when the barking starts? I would try to keep the door open and maybe put up a baby gate instead if you need to keep her confined. She has learned their are good people around that are nice and give her attention. She can't see, but she can hear the other people. She has been taught that barking at those people will get them to pay attention to her.

Dogs do not understand closed doors. All they know is there is something they want on the other side of that door. Since this is a puppy that is just learning that she can get nice things from her new pack she will keep barking to get those things. She needs to be set up so she can get the attention without barking.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
LOL! That sounds like when I was explaining to my sister about my dog...he was not a fence jumper. No, Sketch didn't INTEND to jump the fence because it was a fence, he was just chasing a squirrel and the fence got in the way. He seemed to be surprised, and rather ashamed that he was in the neighbor's yard.

Mon

Reactions: Wolf mom

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Step one, stop petting her when she barks. She is getting a great reward for barking and that reinforces what she is doing. I suggest teaching her that she has to sit and be quiet before she gets petted.

Heelers tend to be one person dogs and they are very alert about anything that is going on around them. That is their job and what they have been bred to do.

What works for me is to tell my dogs "Thank you, I see it. Now be quiet". I don't want them to stop noticing what is going on. I don't want them to stop telling me about it. I just want them to shut up when I tell them to shut up. So my guys give a couple of barks until they are sure I have been alerted and then they shut up.

The easiest way to teach quiet is to use a squirt bottle. Say "quiet", give a squirt which will startle the dog into silence, and then praise the "quiet". It has to be repeated, but it doesn't take too long, especially with a smart bred like a Heeler. Be positive. You are not punishing, you are teaching a new command and praising when the dog does it correctly.

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
I can tell you what I did with a German Shephard that worked great! She was always alerting us when strangers came around; and this was fine during the day as her barking never upset anyone. However, she was a housedog and at night it was a nuisance because people would walk down the sidewalk at night. (Yes at that time I lived in town.) All I did was put my hand around her mouth and say "shhhhhh" quietly. She learned to bark "quietly". LOL Oh yes she did still bark; but it was not earth shaking anymore.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I just rescued a Blue Heeler puppy ( about 10 months old). By rescue, i mean took her from a family member who kept her in a crate 24/7, never potty trained her, and basically neglected her. I’ve been working with her a lot and she’s doing really good, except she seems really protective of me. I currently live with my mom, little brothers, and my 70 year old aunt, and every time she hears a voice outside my room, she barks. I’ve introduced her to them and she doesn’t want to hurt them, she just barks until they start petting her. Is there any way to get her to stop barking at everyone? She’s not even a little bit aggressive.
Sounds to me like she is doing her job. If she can't see what is outside the door she is telling you about it. You do know that a Blue Heeler needs about one hundred acres to run on, and at least fifty head of cattle to herd. And that would just keep her busy until lunch time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts