protecting young trees from goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by April Rain, May 3, 2006.

1. April Rain

April Rain Well-Known Member

I am moving my bucks into a new 2 acre pasture. It has many young pine trees as well as some large pines. It has been select cut and the stumps removed to prepare it as a pasture. How can I keep the small pines from getting eaten and destroyed? Is there an application that will repel them? It is quite a few to be fencing around. They are between 8' and 20' tall. I really need to save them! Any suggestions, please?

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

goats will eat the branches as high up as they can reach, with out fencing each tree off there really isnt much you can do if the goat wants to eat it he will eat it, if they are taller than the goat can reach then the top will keep growing and you just wont have any green down around the base

3. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

:nono: :shrug:

Unless you can afford to adequately "protect" your trees by putting up some kind of barrier from the ground up to 6'.......they well eventually completely strip and girdle the trunks......causing the tree(s) to die. Most of the time the bucks will do this if they are bored or if their favorite foods are slow in being given/found. My suggestion would be to find some other place to pasture them and protect your tree farm investment. :hobbyhors

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Yup, they will eat pine trees. They normally will first eat the lowest branches up to as high as they can reach. Then they may start to eat the bark off the trunk....so....if you don't mind a bare lower trunk, after they eat the branches as far up as they can reach, wrap chicken wire around the trunks. This usually stops the chewing and preserves the tree so they can't girdle it.

We have tons of pine/spruce and this is what we had to do. They stopped eating the bark once the chicken wire was wrapped around the trunk.

If you don't want them eating the pine at all, then you'll have to completely fence them off.

5. manfred

manfred Well-Known Member

I let mine out among the trees and when they try to eat on them I shoot them with my bb gun. They learn really quickly and it freightens them more than hurts them. I don't really trust them while I'm not looking but so far, so good.
    I let them out to eat around the house for about 4 hours per day and they are staying fat.

6. April Rain

April Rain Well-Known Member

I had a good laugh out of that last one! Fencing, aargh! thanks for the advice.