pros·e·ly·tize | \ ˈprä-s(ə-)lə-ˌtīz \
proselytized; proselytizing

Definition of proselytize

intransitive verb
1: to induce someone to convert to one's faith
2: to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause
transitive verb
: to recruit or convert especially to a new faith, institution, or cause

Other Words from proselytizeSynonymsDid you know?Example SentencesLearn More About proselytize
Other Words from proselytize
proselytization \ ˌprä-s(ə-)lə-tə-ˈzā-shən , ˌprä-sə-ˌlī-tə- \ noun
proselytizer \ ˈprä-s(ə-)lə-ˌtī-zər \ noun

Synonyms for proselytize
Synonyms
Visit the Thesaurus for More
Did you know?

Proselytize comes from the noun proselyte (meaning "a new convert"), which comes from the Late Latin noun proselytus. Proselytus means "stranger" or "alien resident," and comes from a similar Greek word (prosēlytos). When proselytize entered English in the 17th century, it had a distinctly religious connotation and meant simply "to recruit religious converts." This meaning is still common, but today one can also proselytize in a broader sense - recruiting converts to one's political party or pet cause, for example.

debate
noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

de·bate | \ di-ˈbāt , dē- \
Definition of debate

(Entry 1 of 2)
: a contention by words or argumentsOur polite chat about politics became a heated debate.The case sparked a raging public debate on property rights.: such as
a: a regulated discussion of a proposition (see PROPOSITION entry 1 sense 1b) between two matched sidesthe last presidential debate before the electionthe debate's moderator
blaw and government : the formal discussion of a motion (see MOTION entry 1 sense 3a) before a deliberative body according to the rules of parliamentary procedure

debate
verb
debated; debating
Definition of debate (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb
1a: to argue aboutthe subject was hotly debated
b: to engage (an opponent) in debatea governor debating her challenger
2: to turn over in one's mind : to think about (something, such as different options) in order to decidestill debating what to do
intransitive verb
1: to participate in a debatethe six primary candidates who debated last night
2a: to contend in words
b: to discuss a question by considering opposed arguments

What does it mean to debate?

Debate, whether as an abstract construct or as the constructed exercise common in high school competition and politics with strict rules and format- introductions, opening statements, rebuttals and so on, is a useful and valuable tool.

Participation in debates enables you to become less narrow-minded, to look at all sides of an argument, to provide scope and structure to your work and in practice to develop the art of public speaking and rhetoric.

It is also the cornerstone of tutorials, of essays and of speeches, both at Oxford University, at Oxford Summer Courses, as well as at the Oxford Union – an institution famed for its speakers and debates.

Why is debating good?

Learning how to debate has many benefits for school and university students, with the skills you learn being crucial for modern life.

With political events continuing to remind us of the importance of persuasion and great oratory which can spark to our emotional and rational parts of our brain, we need to be equipped to understand and sympathise with those whose free speech we often disagree with.

The art of debate involves mastering skills of obvious intrinsic value: the confidence to speak in public; construct logical arguments; and perhaps, most importantly, learn to hear others’ arguments and respond to them with accuracy.

In this respect, starting to lay the foundations of the importance of the debate in classrooms at a young age is essential so that students are equipped with the skills and confidence needed to understand and respect free speech from a young age.

If we consider the above two words, proselytize and debate we will discover that they are effectively interchangeable. In proselytizing and debate both parties are attempting to persuade the opposing viewpoint to accept their position as the most viable.

The only real difference between proselytize and debate would be found within the confirmation bias of personal interpretation.

If one does not accept the position of an opposing viewpoint, they tar it, sully it, demonize it, interpret it according to their own definition and then move to invalidate and silence it.

Tyrants have always done so throughout history.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,138 Posts
No. They are NOT synonyms.

Debate is a conversation. Proselytizing is attempted persuasion.

I am a former debate coach, and according to my family, the Force is strong in me. LOL I can debate any topic and take either side.

In debate tournaments, you don't know ahead of time WHICH side of a topic you will be assigned. Winning is determined by refuting the other debater's points. It isn't necessary to act badly or rudely while doing it.

From personal experience, I can tell you that remaining calm in an informal debate is an incredibly valuable tactic. Other folks get upset when you state facts, support them with evidence, and refute their ideas.

It's ok. I'm used to it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
So Mr. Horn, did you learn anything about the Councils Of Nicaea, and all of the books that were removed from the bible? Or did you just close your account to delete all the nonsense you wrote, and then start a new account without all the nonsense, so you can start your odd tactics here all over again? It's okay to admit to being wrong if you are and move on you know. Even better is learning something from it too.

·
Registered
Been There Done That, Got The T-shirt
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. They are NOT synonyms.

Debate is a conversation. Proselytizing is attempted persuasion.

I am a former debate coach, and according to my family, the Force is strong in me. LOL I can debate any topic and take either side.

In debate tournaments, you don't know ahead of time WHICH side of a topic you will be assigned. Winning is determined by refuting the other debater's points. It isn't necessary to act badly or rudely while doing it.

From personal experience, I can tell you that remaining calm in an informal debate is an incredibly valuable tactic. Other folks get upset when you state facts, support them with evidence, and refute their ideas.

It's ok. I'm used to it.
Debate is not always a game conducted in a controlled academic environment.

A courtroom trial is a form of debate between two very opposite parties attempting to persuade a judge and jury of the veracity of their point.

Proselytizing contains many of the same qualities.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watch Ben Shapiro. He doesn't give a flying rat's fanny if he persuades anyone of anything. Very calm. Point by point.

He is also very willing to admit if he's made a mistake. He has retracted statements made when he was younger.
So he is a pundit.

That is neither a debater, nor a proselytizer.

However, that does not stop him from engaging in either, or.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Mr. Horn, did you learn anything about the Councils Of Nicaea, and all of the books that were removed from the bible? Or did you just close your account to delete all the nonsense you wrote, and then start a new account without all the nonsense, so you can start your odd tactics here all over again? It's okay to admit to being wrong if you are and move on you know. Even better is learning something from it too.
The moderators pulled down everything that I put up.

I have no control over them.

I also stand by my biblical convictions just the same as before.

1. Your thread My View On Transgender People Comes From The Bible. I Should Not Be Removed From My Post.was moved to a different forum.
    3 h ago
  2. G
    Your thread Transgender Lobby Has Corrupted Daily Journalistic Ethicswas moved to a different forum.
    3 h ago
  3. G
    Your thread Are There Warnings For LGBTQ Content In Children’s Shows? Sen. Mike Lee Wants Themwas moved to a different forum.
    3 h ago
  4. G
    Your thread The Coming Online Fight Over Abortion Will Be Brutalwas moved to a different forum.
    3 h ago
  5. G
    Your thread Throwing Out The Baby With The Bathwater? was moved to a different forum.

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
Participation in debates enables you to become less narrow-minded, to look at all sides of an argument, to provide scope and structure to your work and in practice to develop the art of public speaking and rhetoric.

It is also the cornerstone of tutorials, of essays and of speeches, both at Oxford University, at Oxford Summer Courses, as well as at the Oxford Union – an institution famed for its speakers and debates.

Why is debating good?

Learning how to debate has many benefits for school and university students, with the skills you learn being crucial for modern life.

With political events continuing to remind us of the importance of persuasion and great oratory which can spark to our emotional and rational parts of our brain, we need to be equipped to understand and sympathise with those whose free speech we often disagree with.

The art of debate involves mastering skills of obvious intrinsic value: the confidence to speak in public; construct logical arguments; and perhaps, most importantly, learn to hear others’ arguments and respond to them with accuracy.

In this respect, starting to lay the foundations of the importance of the debate in classrooms at a young age is essential so that students are equipped with the skills and confidence needed to understand and respect free speech from a young age.
It’s kind of a little bit hilarious that the source page that you plagiarized this part from starts with the following, which you chose to leave out:
‘Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt’, or so goes a quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln.
…and, so the source doesn’t go uncited, as you are proving more and more wont to do:

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You still believe the bible was written once and never changed thereafter? Wow. Whatever floats your boat though, as each is free to believe whatever they want. Moving on.
I have taken religious study courses and have been enlightened by them.

I accept that the Bible we have come to know, was canonized in the fourth century.

I am aware of the apocrypha and realize that those books are available to whomever wishes to read them.

People are free to read and believe whatever they wish to read and believe.

I just know what works for me personally and am quite content with that.

Reactions: HomeCreek

·
45,138 Posts
Thank you, wr. I avoid some threads, but when it's about words and definitions, I can't resist. My mom was the Word Lady of Austin, and I follow in her footsteps.

Tom, I did mention informal debate. Maybe you missed that.

·
45,138 Posts
Tom, fourth century? You are a few centuries behind. You might want to order this book from Amazon.

In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How It Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think if you view the forum directory, there is a proper forum for religion and that includes endless pages of bible passages.

Member aren't overly happy about the new bible study classes and mods aren't interested in creating new rules for certain members.
Lesson learned.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,210 Posts
proselytize

intransitive verb
transitive verb

proselytize

intransitive verb
transitive verb
Within a church we use the term 'evangelize' or evangelist.

A minister whose ministry is specially focused on recruiting new members into the church.

3 or 4 years ago, I began seeing news articles talking about evangelist churchs or evangelical churches. In my church that makes no sense. You can not have a church with only recruiters in it.

But as Media keeps using the phrase 'evangelical churches' more and more churches have began using the phrase themselves. And it has nothing at all to do with evangelizing or there being an evangelist in the crowd.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Within a church we use the term 'evangelize' or evangelist.

A minister whose ministry is specially focused on recruiting new members into the church.

3 or 4 years ago, I began seeing news articles talking about evangelist churchs or evangelical churches. In my church that makes no sense. You can not have a church with only recruiters in it.

But as Media keeps using the phrase 'evangelical churches' more and more churches have began using the phrase themselves. And it has nothing at all to do with evangelizing or there being an evangelist in the crowd.
I'm terribly sorry to have to step in and correct you, however, it is the word proselytize that is the one and only word that indicates an association with the Christian God.

I learned that, right here on these boards, where the English language has been reinvented for the expressed purpose of cherry-picking censorship.

Much like a Ruger Mini-14 tactical, (proselytizing) with scary "assault weapon" furniture should be banned while a Mini-14 ranch rifle, (Debate) is harmless because it has a cuddly Monte Carlo stock.

It don't matter that the inner workings are functionally the same. ;)

Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Ruger Mini-14 tactical rifle.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: HomeCreek

·
45,138 Posts
GEEEZZZ, googling isn't that hard.

evangelize

ĭ-văn′jə-līz″
intransitive verb
  1. To preach the gospel to.
  2. To convert to Christianity.
  3. To promulgate or promote (a doctrine or idea, for example) enthusiastically.
proselytize

prŏs′ə-lĭ-tīz″
intransitive verb
  1. To attempt to convert someone to one's own religious faith.
  2. To attempt to persuade someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.
  3. To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts