Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband was born and raised here in Southern New Jersey. When we moved to Virginia for a year, he loved it but I could see a bit o' homesickness. Now we have been back about 5 months and he can't wait to be able to get out again! LOL! We were sitting in the living room watching something on TV (Ghostbusters?) about West Virginia, and now he's looking for comparisons on a few areas he wants to go to (and he FINALLY registered for his own account here on HT!).

What are the pros and cons of West Virginia, Ohio and western Pennsylvania? The hubby's "requirements" are hunting ability, homesteading/farming in a small scale, ATV regs and mountains...we won't be going anywhere for a year or two, and we are not being rushed out the door. I have to finish school and we have to save up money, but he's kind of looking at what's out there right now...

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
depends where in WV. some places get snow in september. and to get through the mountains you will eventually need a new transmission. when they say 45 degrees..they mean it. Most of the mountains have NO guardrails. i never liked that. They are really REALLY country outside the panhandle.

I think it depends on what job he does and how you plan to earn money. if you have kids....well....school systems lack. except for the eastern panhandle, which has the two richest counties.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are thinking of homeschooling you might want to look at the HSLDA site at the requirements for each of those states.
Plus, look at what employment is available and hunting seasons. They vary greatly from state to state.

Rose
Ah, that's true--since we don't do immunizations for religious reasons, we'd HAVE to do them if we sent the kids to public school in WV.

Once I am done school (either Med. Assistant or CNA, state isn't sure just yet), I will work here to garner some experience in the field and look to see what each state offers in the way of employment.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends where in WV. some places get snow in september. and to get through the mountains you will eventually need a new transmission. when they say 45 degrees..they mean it. Most of the mountains have NO guardrails. i never liked that. They are really REALLY country outside the panhandle.

I think it depends on what job he does and how you plan to earn money. if you have kids....well....school systems lack. except for the eastern panhandle, which has the two richest counties.
Where we lived in Virginia was like that! I miss mountain driving...

I know we hear a lot that the panhandle is just a branch of "Western Maryland"....

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If you are in the medical field, look to the Pittsburgh area. You can live in the country and be very close to great jobs in the city. We only have an acre, about 11 miles from the heart of downtown, but there are bigger parcels of land all around us. There is also lots of hunting around here. Hunting is so important to the people in our neighborhood that school is closed on the first day of deer season. LOL

I am originally from California, but because DH was in the military, I have lived in quite a few places. I have to say that the people of western PA are really great and I fell in love with this area the day we moved here. I love being so close to all the great things that the city offers and yet when I look out my kitchen window and watch deer standing at the edge of the woods behind my house, I feel like the city is a million miles away.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Where we lived in Virginia was like that! I miss mountain driving...

I know we hear a lot that the panhandle is just a branch of "Western Maryland"....

too much snow in western maryland..and they are about an hour and some north.

Its still country, but not so much that you cant get to anything. Winchester is nearby...hagerstown..frederick...greencastle Pa, .without the high prices. The schools are very good. Police department is very good. Its still a small town.

my daughter lives at fairmont University (15 minutes from mogantown..and she has culture shock) she likes it okay, but there is alot of poor..and alot of drugs. I personally think the town is a bit dirty looking, but thats just MHO

ugh..you like the mountain driving? I hated it. my poor transmission. i am used to flat road driving..i hate going 55 then having to go 25..then 20 down a curvy mountain. i have to downshift in 2nd and could still smell my brakes burning. how do you like the runaway truck stops???? i freaked when i realised what they were really for. always had one eye on the big truck behind me. beautiful views in the summertime, though!

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Kinda curious how you don't get your kids immunized for religious reasons and yet you indicate you might be entering a career as a medical assistant?
Seems contradictory to me but maybe I'm not understanding...anyway that's not the point of your question, so I'll address that. I think I'm in a uniquely qualified position to answer, since I lived in West Virginia, Western Pennsylvania, and now Ohio. I could live in any of those three. I truly believe that this region is the finest in the US for a variety of reasons.
West Virginia is absolutely beautiful. Trout streams, mountains, seasonal changes, small game hunting, friendly people and land that is still affordable,but driving can be a challenge, esp. when roads are icy or foggy. From what I understand, not too much in the way of employment opportunities, either.

Western Pennsylvania is beautiful as well. The Northwest corner (I grew up in Erie) gets a ton of lake effect snow. Lots of good hunting and fishing ...steelhead in the streams up there and good walleye fishing in Erie or nearby Pymatunning Reservoir. Manufacturing is way down, so jobs are few and far between. Don't know too much about land prices in this area. Lots of good schools / universities. Near Pittsburgh for those rare times you might be inclined to go to a large city...If you have to go to one, then, Pittsburgh is cool.

I currently live in Ohio, and though it is not as pretty as Pa or WV (with the exception of some parts), it is a great state. Very easy to drive. Mostly flat but Southern part and eastern part (and north eastern part) is fairly rugged. Affordable land, probably the best outlook as far as employment goes (among the three states). Friendly folks, many farms. Nice mix of woods and fields. Nice historic places, like Marietta, Erie canal, Zoar. Lots of good fishing in eastern and northern Ohio, and the deer herd is strong and of good quality.

If you want to know specifics about hunting regs, you can PM me...(Ohio laws)-don't know much about the other two states, other than I think (but I might be wrong) Pennsylvania might only permit muzzleloaders that are flintlocks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda curious how you don't get your kids immunized for religious reasons and yet you indicate you might be entering a career as a medical assistant?
Seems contradictory to me but maybe I'm not understanding...
'Tis okay for asking--it's been nearly two years since any of the kids at home had their shots. For too many OT reasons, they do not get them and will not. I understand that entering the med field sounds like a contradiction, but what I practice cannot and will not affect the care the patients will receive. My pastor's wife is an RN, and her and I have had this discussion before--no problem that you asked :)

...anyway that's not the point of your question, so I'll address that. I think I'm in a uniquely qualified position to answer, since I lived in West Virginia, Western Pennsylvania, and now Ohio. I could live in any of those three. I truly believe that this region is the finest in the US for a variety of reasons.
West Virginia is absolutely beautiful. Trout streams, mountains, seasonal changes, small game hunting, friendly people and land that is still affordable,but driving can be a challenge, esp. when roads are icy or foggy. From what I understand, not too much in the way of employment opportunities, either.

Western Pennsylvania is beautiful as well. The Northwest corner (I grew up in Erie) gets a ton of lake effect snow. Lots of good hunting and fishing ...steelhead in the streams up there and good walleye fishing in Erie or nearby Pymatunning Reservoir. Manufacturing is way down, so jobs are few and far between. Don't know too much about land prices in this area. Lots of good schools / universities. Near Pittsburgh for those rare times you might be inclined to go to a large city...If you have to go to one, then, Pittsburgh is cool.

I currently live in Ohio, and though it is not as pretty as Pa or WV (with the exception of some parts), it is a great state. Very easy to drive. Mostly flat but Southern part and eastern part (and north eastern part) is fairly rugged. Affordable land, probably the best outlook as far as employment goes (among the three states). Friendly folks, many farms. Nice mix of woods and fields. Nice historic places, like Marietta, Erie canal, Zoar. Lots of good fishing in eastern and northern Ohio, and the deer herd is strong and of good quality.

Good luck.
I'm honestly trying to talk the hubby out of West Virginia :D and aiming for Pennsylvania or Ohio. But since it will be some time before we go anywhere, I've got time to convince him of where I'd like to go LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
We live in southern Ohio. It's beautiful here - very hilly but not steep mountains. Plentiful hunting and fishing (we don't do either but family members do), nice farms, relatively cheap land (we bought 6 acres with a very nice small house and a big barn for 82K), lots of woods and fields, hidden hollows. Icy roads in winter. Hot and humid in summer but usually pretty decent rainfall. Employment is not great overall, but healthcare is an exception. CNAs can almost always find work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts