PROS and CONS OF ME,NH,VT and NY?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Jan 1, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Happy New Year.I interested in your opinions of the following states in which to move,Maine,New Hampshire,Vermont and upstate New York?What are the pros and the cons of the states,what are the taxes,land prices,jobs and people like?Thanks for any help,BASIC.

2. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

Go South young man Go SOUTH

3. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Thankyou for the response.Why do you suggest the South?The one think that would stop us from going South would be the lack(I maybe wrong)of snow.We love it,plowing it is part of our income.I've heard that parts of VA and WV do get a good amount of snow,does anyone know if this is true?BASIC

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Used to live in Manchester, New Hampshire... and love all the states on your list.
    Did not like the snow or bugs though.

Great spring, summer and fall Fairs, find nothing like that over were I live now.

Sorry I cannot help you on the job and land prices.

The people are like everywhere else, treat them with kindness and respect and you will not have any problems.

5. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

Hi!

I live in Upstate NY, We bought 24 acres for $26,000. We had to really look for it, but if you do, you can find some good land....taxes on this piece right now with now buildings on it are around $600 a year. I know some counties are really srtict with what you can and can not do with your land....Our land is in Genessee county, and I know we are going to need a lot of different permits for different things. But you will probably find that in a lot of places.

I know if you go more towards the Southern tier, land is around $1000 or so an acre, and it is absolutley beautiful down there. My mom is building a house now there.

Snow, we get a lot of snow. I tried to get someone to plow my driveway the last snow fall, but everyone was to busy, they were not adding any new customers. :waa: maybe I'll can on an off day......

The city I live in now (Rochester) Was once voted the friendlyist cities....
    I met a few people in the town where we bought our land (Bergen) and they are very nice! Very helpful....

Jobs, it really depends on what your looking for. Retail jobs are pretty plentiful, always opening some new store. Computer jobs and the like are starting to go up a bit, usually in January and Febuary, 1st quater for companies, so they usually have a new buget, and hire some new people. Again, you have to look.

I hoped I helped you a bit, Lives in Upstate NY all my life. These are just my opinions on it!

Good Luck!

~Marisa :)

6. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

bergeere,I forgot about blackflies.From what I'm finding out ME,NH and VTmay not be the best places for us in terms of jobs and taxes.I past post I've read some very good things about upstate NY(posted by Sharon in NY and others).PA is another thought but the eastern part of the state is getting crowded with people from NJ and the northwestern part of the state might be a little to empty for us,Erie is the one city that I know of.Thanks,BASIC.

7. I live in and love Maine.

But jobs are low paying if you can find them, taxes are high compared to wages. Land is cheap where there are no jobs (Aroostook County) see mooers real estate.

All the manufacturing jobs left with NAFTA.

Change in season is amazing. The blackflies suck in May and June and mosquitos all summer. Gardening is good, but short. Farming is fun but not financially fullfilling...organic is the buzz around here.

If you are not afraid of hard work, bugs, snow and peace and quiet Maine is a good choice. The deer herd is superior to other New England states and the fishing is good and better every year. It depends on what you want for work. Southern New England is better for business types or air traffic controllers.

8. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

I live in Michigan, Have spent some time in Maine, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, Also drove truck and have been to the 48 easy to drive to ones. Maine would be my first choice if my family wasn't here in Michigan. I like the people, the land, the lobsters, the coast and the lobsters (yeah I said lobsters twice but I really like em and they only ship the little ones out to us). My second choice would be Michigan, I thought that New Hampshire was nice and could see where one could do well homesteading there, lots of opportunity for the bedroom comunities of Boston. Besides any state with a motto of "Live Free or Die" can't be all bad.
    Good luck in your search,
    Kirk

9. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

Yup, that about sums it up. What we got here is trees, trees, and more trees, but we got lumber mills and paper mills closing left and right. That puts the woods crews out of work, and affects many small businesses. I've lived in Maine my whole life, but we're thinking that we might have to move out of state before too long. Would like to stay at least another 4 years 'til the kids graduate so we don't have to relocate them away from all their friends.

Taxes......I think we figured up that just about 50% of what you make is eaten up in taxes of one kind or another. Makes New Hampshire look pretty good with no sales tax. But, other taxes or cost of living is likely higher there. Just anybody could afford what I pay in property taxes.

10. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

I live in southern NH. Property TAXES are a problem in this state. We've lived on this place for nearly 6 years and we do like it here BUT our property taxes jumped over 50% this year with next to no warning. Many people in town are in the same boat. Since we are on the mass border, many people like this area to live but go work in Mass. More families move in and the schools need More and More money.

For a homestead lifestyle, and also for those on fixed incomes(retirees), in which you want to concentrate resources o nthe homestead, the near exclusive reliance on property tax is very difficult. It requires a good paying job to be able to just stay here on the land. If we lived in a place which relied on say sales tax and/or Income tax more, then we wouldn't need to have the high paying job to just make it.

It does make us think about moving to another part of the country where the split is much more reasonable. Oh yeah, the winter can be a bit long here if you aren't a BIG fan of winter.

Just my 2cents

11. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Nancy in Maine and MarkNH,where would you both think about moving to?BASIC.

12. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

Ozark region or North Ms. Taxes tend to be a bit lower and you can have a lower cost of living if you want. My preference is for the ozarks as it does get chilly during the winter so you still have more of a seasonal shift throughout the year.

We haven't moved yet though and don't really know when we will. A cross country move is not an inexpensive proposition esp when one of us is a packrat :+)

13. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

MarkNH,sir the one problem I see with the Ozarks for us, is (besides being far)is the lack of snow,BASIC.

14. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

Yep, Not Much Snow :+) Yippeeeeeeee and it's only Jan. Ask me how much I like Snow once April rolls around!