Pros and cons chi or min pin or cat.

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by WhiteChristmas, Jan 2, 2007.

1. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Super Mom and College Kid

Landlord has totally recinded in writing his pet policy after finding out if he went thru with tossing all the pets and people harboring he'd have no trailor park. I'm allowed a inside only small dog or cat under 10 pounds. with a depoist. of $100. that's not bad. thu with all the people owning thier homes and just renting the lot. not sure if I totally undertand but will try.

anyway I like chihuahuas I grew up with one. husband loves min pins {thu this confues me as well as he's scared to death of dobermans. } what's the pros or cons of either.

We've got a new 2000 to us trailor 2 bedroom, one huge kitchen/living room laundry room and two bathrooms. witha not a large lot with heavey trees and no way to fence it.

I've got a 4 year old daughter going on five. whose pretty gentle with animals. Well behaved. and a 12 year old daughter who is a dress them up and bring them around type gal.

white working with the UPS investiagr to get my turtle back later today. YAY

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Please research the breeds for Health issues before buyingone. I think the pins are A great little dog, But then with A 5 yearold who knows. So think twice about the pet of your choosing before you bring it home.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

And try not to buy from a backyard breeder, if at all possible.

Why not go to the local pound and adopt a puppy?

4. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

Both breeds can be good pets. One thing to keep in mind though is just because they are small does not mean they should not be trained. So many of the fearful nippy little dogs you meet have had very little socilization and training. They enjoy socializing and learning just like the bigger dogs too. I would take a min pin over a chihuaha but thats just my personal preference.

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Personally, I would go to the SPCA and get a friendly cat.

6. troy n sarah tx

troy n sarah tx Well-Known Member

I would go with a chihuahua. I was always a large breed person, however, after I got my first pup, Freddie, I was quickly converted. I now have 3 chihuahuas, a toy fox terrier and a rat terrier. My puppies are all VERY friendly and great with children. I think it all has to do with how well they are socialized.

Sarah
    :gromit:

7. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

Dobermans make great family dogs...I wouldn't be without one..and they are indoor dogs!!!!
    Easy to train and loyal....

8. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

Min Pins (I have 2) Can be difficult to house train, and can just about NEVER be off leash, and can run like the wind,and benefit from a fenced yard for exercise. If they dont get the needed exercise, they can be destructive.
    They can be very hard headed.
    They are trainable, but just take much much more effort and patience. Can be very emotional, so please no harsh corrections.
    Please research the breed. Try looking up IMPS Min Pin Rescue, some info there on the breed too.
    Mine are very affectionate, love to sleep under YOUR covers, easy to maintain. Very different in personality though!
    One is a real lap dog, the other likes to initiate any holding/lap contact with us.
    I had a little dog (Pomeranian) when my kids were young, 3 under 5. No problems, the dog was not a plaything, and wasnt to be treated as such.
    He was more like a weird brother to them LOL.
    I know some feel (Rescues I have seen) feel that little dogs shouldnt be with kids under 12, but really, as long as you supervise everything from the beginning there shouldnt be problems..
    I like Chi's too! I just dont know that much about them.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you don't have a fenced in area where a dog can safely go outside to do his business I don't really see how any dog would work for you, unless you paper train them indoors which would be easy to do with a chi. I love my chi, his only downfall is he barks a little too much, but other then that he is the perfect dog. They have litter boxes with dog litter now too if you want to keep your little dog inside all of the time, instead of housebreaking them to the outside.

It might be easier to have an indoor only cat that uses a litter box. Cats are wonderful pets too, but of course have their drawbacks as well.

10. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Min pins are extremely hard to housebreak....I saw in the Dog Fancy that a breeder got an award for finally having a housebroken min pin..that should give you an idea of how hard they're to housebreak! Chis aren't good with children..they do not like to play and are nippy.

11. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Well... I want to add that chihuahuas are notoriously difficult to housebreak as well. Both breeds can have a sharp temperament. BTW, the miniature pinscher has nothing to do with the Doberman Pinscher. It existed long before the Doberman was created by (who else?) Herr Dobermann.

Both are small boned dogs that can have a leg broken so easily you can't believe it - I should know. I had a chihuahua years ago and accidentally caused her to break a leg. I was an adult.

A cat might be a good choice, they are typically more hardy around smaller children and less possessive of space so generally more willing to move than guard a spot. (Ok cat people, I did say typically and generally) We have a cat that my granddaughter was trying to pull apart (GD is 18 months old) and all he would do is cry. I reprimanded her and saved the cat, of course.

Without a fenced in area, it's going to be difficult to keep any dog in your yard even if you are out there, whereas a cat won't even need to GO outside.

Just my two cents :)

12. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

I just noticed you mentioned you had no way to fence your yard. If you were thinking of tying out a Min Pin, I might as well tell you some are barkers and diggers...and expert escape artists. Mine slipped out of a harness on me as well. Quite a scary experience for me.
    There is another site Zeus's Doghouse (Just google Zeus's Doghouse)
    Click on Paw Pals and you can read members concerns and problems with their dogs just to get a really good idea of what you might be in for..... (Also has their merits and lots & lots of pictures in the Pin up Gallery.)

13. Lil in md

Lil in md Well-Known Member

I totally agree I have 2 min pins both very different . My male you can just about do anything with the female forget it she would not get along with kids has a mind of her own .I just think it is the personality of the dog .I would not own a min pin without a fenced yard they are escape artist . Like someone else mentioned my male Buddy will slip right out of a harness and a collar well it would have to cut off his breathing for it to stay on . I had no trouble house breaking them but I agree maybe a cat is your best bet in a trailor . They like to be active and want attention when they want it.And as the name says they do pinch got a couple of spots just from playing . I f you had a fenced yard and room for one to run I love mine but they are mouthy dogs mine like to chase just about anything for the chase. Just my 2-cents Lillie

14. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I think a cat is a better idea than a dog. Dogs that size seem prone to disposition issues, like they have to prove they're still dogs. Also I think a dog could potentially hurt your turtle; after an initial bit of curiosity your cat is likely to become bored with an animal that doesn't run quickly (actually I'd be more worried about the turtle biting the cat than the other way around).

I'm so glad to hear you're going to get your rightful turtle back. I think you'll be a much better home for it than the theif's son.

15. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Super Mom and College Kid

with me working and my husand aslo. We fiqured a cat might not feel as badly about me working 6 hours and coming home and him working 8 and being gone a day.

as it is nothing we got was going outside alone or not on a leash. and I was planning on litter training the chi if that's what we got. but I remmeber how needy a chi can be.

so now looking for a kitty in WV,

PS turtle update I got Milly home yesterday,she's now in my fifty long tank with a basking light and plenty of water. quess sometimes Life hands you stuff so you apprecite what we got more.

white

16. faithgoeson

faithgoeson Active Member

Cats bathe themselves, don't have to go for walks, and never bark. If you want easy, I'd go with a cat. The kids will love a cat just as much as a dog. Of course, doggies are great too. Just depends on how much energy you want to invest.

17. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I think you made a good choice. Go to www.petfinder.com and search for a cat on the left.

Also, I thought I'd add that I'd get an adult cat- they are more likely to get put down, and you KNOW what you're getting. All kittens are cute and friendly, but inevitably some don't end up as tolerant and loving as others. If an adult cat is friendly in a stressful enviroment like a shelter, then it will be friendly in your home, too.

18. lamanchagoatgrl

lamanchagoatgrl Well-Known Member

Well some of the things others have said deserve note. I have a Chi, with my 5 year old little sister, and he isn't always as tolerant with her as her own dog, which is a Mini-Schnauzer. My Chi is learning...slowly..to be more patient with her. Chi's can be very needy also, mine is. ...of course this also depends on the animal. So I don't know if I would recommend a Chihuahua.
    I have never owned a Min Pin, and know very little about them.
    I agree with you though, a cat would probably be the best, now that I think about it. Cats are naturally independent, at least mine is. Like Xandras Zoo said if you can find a nice adult cat that, is calm, ect. while at a stressful place like the pound, then it will more than likely be a good choice.

I'm rambling now... *grins* Sorry, hope everyone's reply's help you out.