Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
6,651 Posts
Around here, farm land is taxed much less than any other type of land.

My brother and i share 80 acres. We each have a house on it. It has been appraised at $320,000 but it is only taxed on $72,000. It is an incetive that the state uses to entice people to keep land in farm use, and open spaces.

I think therre isnt any better use for rural property.
I think that rural land prices shold be low enough so people can afford 40 acres or more.
I think those who refuse to farm should not be allowed to buy it.
I think subdivisions should be outlawed.
I think non farm, and non homestead people should be required to live in high density residential areas so they dont eat up precious farm land with subdivisions with stupid asthetic ordinences, and driving up farm land prices.

If this is to much drift, let me know, and I will delete it.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
land is appraised at what ever is necessary for the local administrators to keep their welfare like jobs. nomatter how much they spend, they know they have a rich uncle to go to...just raise taxes or raise appraisals.

several years ago county land was apraised at four times its value. if you went before a board and complained they might lower it,,,if not it stayed at the unaccurate rate. i had purchased a few ac. around an existing pond on my boundry line, worth was about $1000 per ac. they appraised it at over $4000 per ac. when i went before the board, their justification was that it was road front. in actuallity, it was over a half mile from any type of road or path..

a local realestate agent was on the board. its win-win for them. if appraisals go up the realestate agents get more percentage on their sells.

fight thems at every turn, never give up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
michiganfarmer said:
I think non farm, and non homestead people should be required to live in high density residential areas so they dont eat up precious farm land with subdivisions with stupid asthetic ordinences, and driving up farm land prices.
and

michiganfarmer said:
Our totalitarian government has, by stealthy encroachment, taken our basic rights away and is selling them back to us as privileges, permits, and licenses. This is not freedom.
I have a hard time understanding how these two incongruent statements can come from the same person.

Just an observation.

whistler

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's an old way of doing things and there's many areas changing away from it and going to actual property value. Let's say you have $100 and I tax you at 10% it's $10.

If I decide to say, "no you REALLY don't have $100, you only have $25, but your tax rate is 40%" you still owe me $10. They are just playing around with the numbers.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
hillsidedigger said:
It seems many jurisdictions undervalue rural property so as to allow certain areas to remain somewhat unfragmented.

Here is an extreme example:

"According to multiple sources, the property, which has a tax value of $146,000, was to be sold for more than $7 million."

http://www.newstopic.net/articles/2007/08/22/news/30wilson.txt

I think all states have a way to exempt agricultural property from high taxation based upon "market value". Some states put an accurate appraised value on it, then just adjust the rates; others put a low value on it and tax it at the regular rate. The killer is - rollback taxes. When the developer has to pay the difference in what the taxes actually were, and what the taxes would have been without the exemption for the past five years.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Two years ago nine acres and a good but obsolete house, too close to the road, floor plan really bad because of changes made over the years that ment you had to go through bedrooms to get to other bedrooms,, was taxed at 23,000 We sold owner financed for 28,000, new owners destroyed the house not repairable when we got it back because they never payed after the down payment. Fire department burned it down for training. Then the tax appraisal we got was for $77,500 wth out the house. We contested and asked where did they get the number and they admitted no one had even looked at the property just looked on the map and guessed. We had told the tax dept we had lost the house. Around here they have gone completey nuts and taxes have gone up 400 percent this year.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Yup - blank check for the county. Our property is appraised based on what other plots of similar land are SELLING for. This takes into account private, agent sales and auctions.
Here - 70%+ of property tax goes to support the worthless public school system. The more the schools deem they want, the more the taxes go up. The state legislature DID give us some tax "relief" this year. It amounted to about $70 for us - but the county raised the mil levy more then that, so it didn't do much good.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
In California the - assessed values and property taxes are subject to Prop 13. This was a law that essentially sets your assessed value at the price you purchased the property at, subject to a small increase every year (I think the assessed value can increase something like 2% every year). This means if you bought your house many years ago, it has a much smaller assessed value than if you bought your home recently. Similar Houses side by side in the same neighborhood can have different assessed values by many hundreds of thousand of dollars, depending on when they were purchased by the current owner. This protects long term owners from higher taxes, but new owners have to pay taxes on the new high sales price. It is really kind of dysfunctional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.