property tax roll back- Bonner County Idaho

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SquashNut, Jul 15, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I don't know all the lingo for what happened, but I was at the post office this morning and saw the local papers front page.
    it looks like the county assesors here in Bonner county Idaho voted to roll property tax assesments back to what they were in 2005.
    Seems there is an old law on that books that they can do that. With any luck they will set an example or the rest of the counties here. Not sure how that is gonna rub the law makers down in Boise, but I am sure we will hear more about this.

2. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

With any luck they will set an example or the rest of the counties

Sure hope so...we're in Kootenai...got our mortgage statement which said we owed $2200 in escrow shortage, and that our regular mortgage payment was going to go up $1500 a month effective August 1 - that's not enough time to get a new life!!!

Thankfully, it was a mistake...but at the rate things are going, someday they'll mean it!!!

We drove up to Naples to get some goats last week...it was awfully appealing =)

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

That must mean you think taxes are cheaper in Boundary County? Hah!

4. TundraGypsy

TundraGypsy Well-Known Member

I have a house in Boundary County (Bonners Ferry),and I hope they will roll the taxes back too. I'm not ready to pay double property taxes! I heard from a friend who lives in Hayden, ID that the Assessor's office had bomb threats and they had to have security at the building. I think it is an outrage that they think they can double taxes. Everything is going up; food, gas, etc and wages are still back in the 60s..terrible. There needs to be a control in place on how much taxes can be increased each year. I really feel sorry for folks on limited, fixed incomes. If taxes go up, I'll have to sell my place. :Bawling:

5. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Bonner is a family name here! Does anyone know any of the history of Bonners in your area? B

6. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We can certainly hope that lowering assessed values will do some good.

Now does this effect the mil-rate?

Even if they lower the assessed values, a bump in the mil-rates, still gets you the same taxes.

Our state property tax assessor called us today, she is re-assessign our land, since we removed some trees, she may be raising our taxes.

Last year was $47, I hope it does not climb too much. It is already over a dollar per acre for riverfrontage forest.

7. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

Say what you want about California, but at least with Prop 13 our taxes cannot be raised beyond 2% per year!

8. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

That's very nice. I'm sure that California is a wonderful, wonderful place to live.... <b>much</b> nicer than high-priced, low income northern Idaho. :)

9. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

That's very nice. I'm sure that California is a wonderful, wonderful place to live.... much nicer than high-priced, low income northern Idaho

Oh - it must be!!! Nice temperate climate I hear...

I'm just praying we get one of those really great N Idaho winters...like 1996...that might just reduce the selling prices on our homes when the market gluts the following spring...or do they make snowplows for Hummers??? I sure hope not...