Property in an Intentional Community for sale.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, May 15, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

For those interested in such things:

''THIS IS A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN AN INTENTIONAL COMMUNITY. SOLAR HOUSING IS PLANNED WITH AN ON-SITE SOLAR CONSULTANT, COMMUNITY ORGANIC GARDENS, SENSIBLE RESTRICTIONS TO INSURE COMPATABILITY AND THE GOOD LIFE FOR ALL. BEAUTIFUL VIEW SITES, SPRING WATER PIPED TO SOME LOTS, BETWEEN LAKE LURE AND RUTHERFORDTON. ''

Listing:32004-07210

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Yeah, but any restrictions, IMO, are bad....

3. oz in SC

Not all the time,we have the following restrictions:

No mobile homes.

No dividing the land into less than 2 acre parcels.

No junkyards.

Main house bigger than 1300 square feet.

4. antiquestuff

Yeah, but what if you don't want a 1300 sq foot home?

5. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

1300 Sqfeet house :rolleyes: What if it's only two people? I know I don't need that much room to live in a house, half of that and I would be fine. No mobile homes? That sounds like another law I would like to stay away from, even though I don't own one. What do you descibe as a junk yard? A car in the yard that doesn't work? or 20 cars.

I believe that for something like that to work, you either have to find people that want the same, or lessen the rules.

Remember, one (though there are many) of the reasons why most people want to homestead is to stay away from rules that don't benifet no one.

There was a mobile home park in the city by me, 500 mobile homes, all kept in Great shape. This park has been their for atleast 20 some years. A contractor bought the land across the street from the park in 2003 for a "execitive" estates subdivision. Anyways, the contractor got a restriction from the goverment. "NO MOBILE HOMES 1000 FEET BY PROPERTY". The park was closed down, some lost their homes and the rest were burden by having to have their home moved.
    I even had a good friend from there kill himself over it. Was it right so the "rich" people would not have the "burden" of seeing lower level of income housing? No, but since there was about 50 homes going in that would be around $300,000 a piece, do the math for taxes for the government.

Danny

6. antiquestuff

What Danny? That's insane! Wouldn't they be at least grandfathered in in those mobile homes? I mean, seriously! And no one went after those rich guys over it???

7. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

antiquestuff, nope, they had a closed door election (meaning that their were 5 people from the local government that all vote on how this will help the community, and their own pockets) and the contractor even "donated" $100,000 to the local city hall for some inprovments. This matter is gone to the Supreme Court of Canada, but it could take another 2 years or more to have this matter resolved.
    Politics.... whenever people at work start to talk about them I just say there as crazy as the company.

8. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

Where is Rutherfordton.........I live in Columbia, btw..........??? Is there a web site?

9. oz in SC

Rutherfordton is in Rutherford County obviously :D It is about 35 miles away from Spartanburg,and 50 miles from Asheville.If you look up Lake Lure and Chimney Rock you will find Rutherfordton.

Our land is in a 'development' about 15 minutes outside of Rutherfordton.

Not all restrictions are bad and it is up to the individual to decide what they are comfortable with.

We will(hopefully) be building a 1400' house on a full basement...for 2800'.
    That is a good size and will still enable us to sell if the need arises.

Small houses are harder to sell and we have come to realise that thinking of resale is important.

If you build bigger trust me you will fill it up... :haha:

10. Debbie at Bount

Debbie at Bount Well-Known Member

Basements are worth every penny plus some... I have 300 acres which I don't need and through at times to sell a piece but...I would have big restrictions so I do understand that. I don't think you should come in and kick the other guy out like the moble home discussion but I do not want mobile homes on my property so I think I can make those restriction. Not going to do it until I can't work the land anymore or want to.
    Debbie