Proper Water Temperature for Hog Scraping?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TnTnTn, Dec 7, 2006.

1. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

What is the proper water temperature(degrees F) for slipping the hair on a hog carcass? I have heard that if it is too cold or too hot the hair doesn't come off properly when scraped. Thanks. TnTnTn

2. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Had an ole farm book that said 160*F, but 165 seems to work much better for me..YMMV...:)

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've always throwed some Woodash in to help.

big rockpile

4. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Never went by the temperature of the water per se. We bring the water to a full rolling boil, remove the heat source, and within 5 minutes we pour the hot water over the pig.

ps: Lehman's still sells the nice bell scrapers if you need any....

5. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know, but my job when little was to keep the water boiling in the pot! We dipped feed/burlap sacks into the hot water, laid the sacks over the pigs hide, and then scraped it after removing the sack. The last pig I helped butcher we skinned, which was a first for me.

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

165 works for me too.
    If you get a chance, try using some "old baldy". Added to the water, it sure helps the process.

Like dagwwod said, you can heat the water........cover the hog with cheesecloth or a cotton kitchen towel, dip the water and pour over the cloth.

Let it set a few minutes to loosen hair, then remove cloth and scrape.
    If it doesn't loosen at first, add more water. You need to do a small area at a time this way. Don't pour hot water over the whole hog at once.

I can scrape a hog this way by myself, no lifting involved if I use the tractor bucket to lay the hog where I want it. :)

Dang ...Ramblin wreck, you beat me to it! :)