Proper Painting Preparation Question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by mandelbrotset, May 20, 2005.

1. mandelbrotset

mandelbrotset Member

All of the books I've read about painting recommend that you first prep your walls by filling in and sanding any nail holes. I don't want to do that though because I like my nail holes just where they are! I have a lot of pictures hanging on my walls and I don't want to have to arrange them & nail new holes all over again when I've done painting.

Is it okay to leave the nails in and paint over them, or should I paint around them? Does anyone know what professional painters do in this situation? Thanks for the help.

2. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

paint your walls with the nails in place, enjoy your new color! they only need to be filled if you are not reusing them.

3. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

the recomendation is so the surface is all uniform

Like doing body work on a car before painting,

but leave the items you want to leave, but fill and repair the areas you want to.

if it is new wall or one you have moved in to and you want it to look new, you would remove the nails and patch the holes and sand and prime, so that when you were done painting the intire wall would look as if it was new,

remove the electrical cover plates and then paint and replace when the paint has dryed, much easer than trying to paint around,

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

When i was painting a fews years back for a living, it depended greatly upon what the homewner wanted, the charge was more for having obstructons left on the walls we were back rolling after spraying [when spraying was available to be done] and we sometimes just pulled a nail or two painted the wall and put the nail back in place without painting the nail.... still took more time..... every painter is differnt in what they will do for a person. As for a do-it -yerself job, if you are gonna rehang in place, and not figuring on this paint job selling your house with nothing left on the walls, then leave the nails in place, and use a longer nap roller [longer than the protrusion] and roll over them most picture nails dont stick out much more than 1/2 inch anyway.

William

5. mandelbrotset

mandelbrotset Member

Thanks everyone for the go-ahead to do what I hoped was the correct answer!