Propane versus electric

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Christiaan, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I'll be replacing my stupid Jenn-Air range this winter. I'm thinking of going with a propane range, but I have been told they don't get as hot as an electric stove. Does anyone have experience with both types and how did they compare?
    Thanks,

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

I deal with a lot of stoves in my line of work, mostly electric because those are the ones needing fairly constant service.

In my experience, folks with gas stoves, whether propane or natural gas are much happier with their units than are those with electric stoves. Folks with gas seem to prefer them for the heat control and consistency over electrics they have used. I have never had anyone complain about the a gas range not being hot enough.

All I know, is that I have lots more service calls regarding electric stoves or ovens than I have with gas...on the order of 10 to 1. I have to fill one whole shelf in my van with parts for electric ranges, but almost nothing for gas. If I do have a service call for a gas range, I can usually fix the problem with a bit of cleaning.

3. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

I had a gas range years ago, and I wish I still had it. We have an electric range, the one with the sealed top. My husband wanted to get it when our old electric one died. He thought it'd be easier to keep clean. I think he's right on some level, but I really, really wish I had stuck to my guns and gotten a gas one. Gas is superior in my mind for many reasons, one of the most important being that you can always cook during a power outage. :)

4. Christine in NY

Christine in NY Well-Known Member

I've had both and I much prefer gas. I've found that gas can get much hotter than electric but also you have much more control as it respoonds instantly. I will never go back to electric. I also like that I can cook on gas even if the power is out. My oven won't work without power but the burners on top will. Last power outtage both my mother and mother-in-law came to my house to cook their dinners!

Christine

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

another vote for gas

6. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I love my gas stove--wouldn't have electric.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Regardless, whether gas or electric, if you live in the country and your range has an electronic circuit board, make sure that the range is plugged into a surge protected outlet! Power surges are a fact of life for many rural grid systems. Without a surge protector you're gonna be replacing that circuit board, at a cost of several hundred dollars, every now and then.

8. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

Gas...

and now for my VENT on this subject...

I live in texas.. i am surrounded by oil wells.... EVERYWHERE.. infact they are drilling 3 new ones just about a mile away from me... there are storage tanks everywhere.. one right around the corner... and you know what they do with the NATURAL GAS from these oil wells...THEY BURN IT. Its too costly (according to the oil companies) for them to filter it for use.

I just paid 189 dollars for 100 gallons of propane...

Everything is Electric in Texas... for 8 yrs in houston i had electric stoves and I hated them.. you couldnt control the heat.. it seemed to take forever to cook anything.. and as far as roasting and baking somethings didnt even seem to have the same taste to me.

But.. with the cost of oil at an all time high of $51 a barrel... i see a lot more electric stoves being sold.

Lynn in Texas

9. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Also, a gas oven is always a little warm. I use it for ripening yogurt and home-made beer.

10. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

I love cooking on an electric stove and prefer it to a gas. I'm one of the few, I know. Most all of the gas stoves I looked at still had an electric oven, so the savings would not be much unless you don't bake. I have a convection oven. Oh, my, what a wonderful thing that is!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think I would use it or like it that much, but I wouldn't go back to a regular oven for anything. Was worth every penny.

11. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Another vote for gas ...

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Only if you've got an old school or cheapo one with a pilot light, not that that's a bad thing--great for raising bread, too. Most ranges have electronic ignition now.

Another vote for gas, and buy the one with the most BTUs per burner that you can afford.

13. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Do you want to be dependant on the electric company? I know I certainly dont. Get one with a pilot light if you can find it.

14. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

A vote for gas.

I have used both wseveral times and prefer gas. It is nice to have when the power goes out. It gives instant heat instead of waiting, and when you turn it off it is done, unlike electric which stays warm for quite a while.

15. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

gas

what is wrong with a pilot light? other than using about a half a gallon a month i see no issues with them. as far as electronic ignition is concerned i had an aunt that did without a stove for a week until i informed her she could light it manually lolol.

KISS-keep it simple stupid. Best advice I was ever given.

the house i recently sold had a three thousand dollar gas stove that had the grill etc. i still cooked about ninety percent of the time on my outside grill and in my fish cooker.

I always take the huge pot that comes with propane fish fryers, the ones for deep frying turkeys. Well I fill it with all the ingredients to make homemade soup. It takes a while to cook but then i have enough homemade soup to feed an army to put in ziplock bags and canning jars. I think the last time it made somewhere on the order of 15 gallons.

16. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

we also have gas and a electric ignition, and it won't light manually. tried it when we were with out elec for 36 hour.

17. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I've had both and much prefer gas. Wish I had it now. We are thinking about at the least getting a propane cooktop. I have the counter space to put one. Course if we get desperate we do have a gas grill with a burner. We're lucky here in that we are on a small power company that rarely looses power. During the last bad ice storm the major company (which covers people on the other side of town) they were without power for a couple weeks while ours was only out a day.

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm tossing my 3 yr old Whirlpool mid-line electric for a gas stove. Reason? power outages and reliability. The Jenn air model we're getting is a lower range for Jenn Air about $1300. Our generator in case of any other power outages will be propane powered as well. If I ever replace the fridge or water heater it will be gas.

19. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I have been around several electronic ignition stoves during power outtages. Most require you to depress the dial to ignite. You have to depress and manually light. You just cant turn the knob. All it really is is another igniter like on a gas grill.

20. Landlocked Lill

Landlocked Lill Active Member

My ex husband is a chef and designed me a beautifull kitchen, down to the gas range, flat top and barred indoor grill, oven and convection oven. Ours had an electric ignition for the ovens, but we could light them manualy by disabling some little dodad.
    The thing about gas is that it is very responsive, unlike an electrical element.
    When you have reached the right temprature to add parmesean cheese to an alfredo sauce, you turn down the heat and add the cheese. With the electric, that element cools very slowly, risking your chance of scorching the sauce or being too hot so that the oils seperate from the cheese and you have a mess. The gas, when you turn it down, reduces the flame and therefore the heat, allowing the sauce to come to a temperature that will not allow the cheese to seperate but to become part of the sauce. I LOVE GAS!!!!! (Thank you DXH).