propane tank? lbs. verses gal.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lacyj, Dec 18, 2004.

1. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

We have a couple 10 gallon propane tanks that need the new safety valve.The site I am ordering from goes by pounds. The valve we took out has a stem 4.6 inches long made out of something like copper or brass. The new valve stem is plastic and none match the exact length. What valve do I want?
    Please check out site. Do I want the 30 lb. one?
    http://amos.shop.com/cc.class/cc?se...t+valve&search_button.x=30&search_button.y=12

Thanks,
    lacyj

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The little tanks that most barbques use are 20 pound tanks. The 30 pound tanks are common on travel trailers and are about half again taller than the 20 pound tanks.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

As Uncle Will said you probably have a 20 lb. tank as they are most common. I didn't bother with replacing my own valve. I went to Wal-Mart and exchanged my old tanks for an inspected and updated Blue Rhino tank. It was cheaper than any other way of doing it and it can be filled anywhere. You don't have any commitment to anyone and it is still your tank to own.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

a hundred pound tank is 27 gals if that helps?

5. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

A 20 Lb tank is about 5 gallons, when filled to 80% it holds about 4 gallons.

A 30 Lb tank is about 7.5 gallons, when filled to 80% it holds about 6 gallons.

A 40 Lb tank is about 10 gallons, when filled to 80% it holds about 8 gallons.

Bob

6. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Propane weighs about 4.26 pounds per gallon. You want the 40#cylinder valve.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I've not dealt with this company but learned of their web site on Yesterdays Tractor forum. http://www.opdvalve.com/

The "tare weight" will be stamped on your bottle, as well as the "water capacity" in pounds, with water being 8.3333 pounds per gallon you can figure the rough fill capacity, less the 80% max fill capacity. Bottles are filled by weight by a dealer, not by gallonage.

8. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

That depends on the dealer. Around here, if asked, a few of the LP dealers will fill to 90% in winter, which comes out to about 4.5 gallons on a 20 lb tank. This also happens to be where a properly set OPD valve kicks in full and shuts off to prevent overfill.

Bob