Propane storage

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by madison, Aug 25, 2006.

1. madison

madison New Member

Hi all, my name's madison and I'm new here. Have a propane question.

What's the safest way to store propane? Inside the house (where I have it now) or in the garage, even though it gets hot? Or in a room we seldom use?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

What are you storing it in? Usually it is stored in tanks holding 20 to 100 to 1000 gallons, and the bigger the tank , the farther from the house!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Outside of the house and your garage both. If you can't do any better store it outside under a tarp, but outside of your home and anything connected to your home. One leak and a spark and you could be homeless.

My cylinders are in a rack in an open bay of my shop.

.....Alan.

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

What A.T. Hagan said but with one addition: you could be dead, and not just homeless. My brother and law and another fireman lived but were severely burned by an explosion in a house that contained propane tanks. Put the tank outside. Underground storage is getting popular again in our area, but a properly installed and maintained above ground tank is fine.

5. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

Welcome, Madison! :)

Always outside the house, and, for 100 gallons or above, at least 15 feet away. Heat shoudn't be an issue, if you have a pressure relief valve on your tank, although a tree to shade the tank wouldn't hurt. Cylinders often don't have pressure relief though, so you should keep them in the shade. How much are you storing? (just curious)

6. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

What everyone else said. It needs to be outside. Propane is a gas that is heavier than air. If it leaks it goes down instead of up and will fill up a room or house. In addition when it leaves the cylinder and it's liquid state it will vaporize to about 180 times the liquid volume. One little spark from a light switch or outlet and it will be all over.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............As others have said your propane tank should be outside of your home and some distance away , like 75 to 100 feet . If , you'll notice on the 250 , 500 and 1000 gallon tanks , there is a welded seem on each end , this seem is designed such that if the tank was to catch fire and explode that the ENDS will blow Off before the whole tank explodes , which PREempts a much bigger explosion . fordy... :)

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Outside!!!!!!!!

--->Paul