Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dh works for a very large fuel company. They have already started allocating propane as they are already short. We just started the corn harvest. The power company has already said they don't have enough coal to power everyone. They may have brown outs or even black outs.
I'm so glad we have wood heat and a genny. Looks like this winter will be fun.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
First we hear there is an abundance of oil and natural gas and now there is a shortage of propane. :shrug: I want to get the last couple of odd sized tanks topped off before it goes up.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I called the propane company to have the swing by next time they were close to fill the tank. After all the canning I've done I figured we would need a top off. Of course I'm clueless about how much it holds or how much we regularly use but I feel better knowing it's full. Of course now I'll fret about the rest of the season.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I called the propane company to have the swing by next time they were close to fill the tank. After all the canning I've done I figured we would need a top off. Of course I'm clueless about how much it holds or how much we regularly use but I feel better knowing it's full. Of course now I'll fret about the rest of the season.
Just so you'll be able to know how much you've got - there are two gauges on the top of the tank, one is on the same "tree" as the valve and reads to 300 lbs, that one tells you how much pressure is in the the tank and changes with temperature. The other gauge is piped directly into the tank, and reads to 100% - that's your quantity gauge. In warm periods like summer they won't fill it past 70%, and in cooler times 80% to allow for expansion due to heat. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
That's why I'm glad we have a wood stove.
Me, too, and an electric furnace if I'm really lazy (which is maybe twice a year - I like the house cooler and like my wood heat better than forced air). My propane is for canning up all the freezer contents if the grid goes down for longer than the genny can run to keep the food frozen. Also for cooking in that situation if it's not winter (when I'd use the woodstove).

I like to have everything topped off, and do have a number of the "Blue Rhino" size propane tanks full. My odd sized tanks are the ones I need to go fill - they have the old type valves that aren't supposed to be refilled anymore :)rolleyes: ). I have to go impose on friends with a wet leg on their bulk tanks - paying them for the gas, of course. I think my brother still has a couple of my tanks, too - may need to get them back.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Just so you'll be able to know how much you've got - there are two gauges on the top of the tank, one is on the same "tree" as the valve and reads to 300 lbs, that one tells you how much pressure is in the the tank and changes with temperature. The other gauge is piped directly into the tank, and reads to 100% - that's your quantity gauge. In warm periods like summer they won't fill it past 70%, and in cooler times 80% to allow for expansion due to heat. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
filled my tank on Monday $1.449 gal
That's a very good price. I just called and ours is at $1.90 but they expect it to jump up when the first cold spell hits.

One of my gauges reads in gallons instead of lbs. the other is %.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My 1st source of heat is solar hot water, then backup on that is pellets, then wood and for a backup from them is natural gas

·
Unapologetically me
20,942 Posts
Yep, I seen a news story a few weeks ago, that this might happen. Not enough rail cars to haul the propane.
Trains are being diverted to haul the oil that would be going down the Keystone.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That does not make sence since oil goes to refineries and propane leaves from refineries, so they would haul full propane cars north along with empty oil cars and vise virsa

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
That does not make sence since oil goes to refineries and propane leaves from refineries, so they would haul full propane cars north along with empty oil cars and vise virsa

Maybe. Depends on who is paying more for the cars. If oil is paying more they will dedicate more cars to that route to make more money.

Reactions: elkhound

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
My 1st source of heat is solar hot water, then backup on that is pellets, then wood and for a backup from them is natural gas
I love this! Backups to the backups to the backups! :goodjob:

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
Dh works for a very large fuel company. They have already started allocating propane as they are already short. We just started the corn harvest. The power company has already said they don't have enough coal to power everyone. They may have brown outs or even black outs.
I'm so glad we have wood heat and a genny. Looks like this winter will be fun.
my wife works for the co-op and does propane and fuel , they have no such shortage at this time they are delivering like mad to corn dryers , they have enough propane to fill every contract allocated.

you should always summer fill when you can , the price s the lowest and the more they order early in the year the further ahead they are in line with the supplier

they can only fill to 80% and you do not want to go below 5%, watch the tank every week and write down the % when you get to 20% or what you have been using in 2 weeks call it in , it costs less for the co-op if they can fill more per trip and less if they can work you into the route , they can pass this saving along if they can run an efficient route if you don't watch and realize your out when the furnace won't fire , then you get to pay more for a same day fill because it throughs the route off they also must run a leak check any time that your tank goes empty more cost

1 - 18 of 18 Posts