propane refrigerator

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TX Poet, Jul 20, 2004.

1. TX Poet

TX Poet Member

How do you like your propane powered fridge? Do you have any problems or concerns about the exhaust? I have read sites about the bad results...mild to serious health problems...people have encountered with these ventless fireplaces that have been popular. Was wondering if a propane appliance might cause similar results.

As a solution, I was thinking, for a small cabin size fridge, of putting the back end of the thing outside the wall, like you would a window unit AC, with a little overhang sheltering it. (Not hanging out the window, but with its own built hole.) Does this sound like it would be ok?

Thanks for any experiences or thoughts on this.

A

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

From experience; Putting the back thru a hole on the north side of the house is a good idea. One, it gives more room in the house. 2, You aren't heating up the house with the fire going 24/7 (they do put out a lot of heat). And 3, even vented, you will get some fumes back into the house. If you are the least bit sensitive it will make you ill. Also it will then take intake air from outside and not deplete the O2 in your room.

You will need to make sure and block the wind or it will blow the pilot out in the old ones. The newer one with 12v dc ignition aren't such a problem You can also add extra insulation around the sides, top and bottom. This will make it work more effeciently. Some people also put a layer of foam on the outside of the fridge door and cover it with paneling or formica.

hope this helps, Kim

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana: Here is the absolute truth about propane fridges! Any propane or natural gas appliance that is not properly maintained can and will cause (burner by product) fumes. They are stinky and can make some folks ill. However a properly maintained and adjusted propane appliance has no smell at all and does not cause any trouble at all! Lets see I have a propane freezer, a 1952 propane SERVEL fridge , a propane dryer , a propane hot water heater and I think that is all, oops and a propane back up heater for the house. Each is properly adjusted , serviced and maintained two times annually. If you can find an old Servel and are at all handy there is a wonderful man in Maine at Maine gas refridgeration who can help you get it adjusted and working right for your altitude. I got mine for free and Art up in Maine helped be get it working great for about 40.00 bucks. compare that to a smaller new one for 1200.00! Using propane appliances is the best thing I ever did for our homestead which is off the grid! Hope this helps!

4. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I used to use a 1930's era Servel fridge, and while it did keep the food cold, it was not without it's faults. Being as old as it was, I did not use it inside. I'm not even sure if it was designed for indoor use or not. There was an outdoor 'summer kitchen' under a picinic shelter, and that is where the 'fridge was. I used it year round, unless it was colder outside the 'fridge than in. If it was indoors, I would probably be dead from Carbon Monixide poisoning right now. Another problem was the pilot light occasionally went out, but that only happened perhaps once a month, if even that often. Fortunately, there was a thermal switch that would cut the gas off when that happened.