Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace our 12 year old Bosch water heater. Would apprreciate any advise for or against current models/brands.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Looking to replace our 12 year old Bosch water heater. Would apprreciate any advise for or against current models/brands.
We have a Noritz. We only moved in in September so I can't tell you a ton about it but, so far, we like it. The only thing is that "on demand" isn't really "on demand". It's more "run the water for a minute or so and then I'll get hot". It does go from warm to hot very quickly but it does take that minute to get to warm.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Interesting. I'll be following.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We have one and it works great. Our situation caused a major but minor problem. Its at a beach house and we use a small 20 pound propane tank to run it. It was intermittent at best. I thought I had a flawed heater. It turned out the small hose going from propane tank to heater was too small a diameter to push the volume needed to run it. Think of the hose going from your propane tank to grill. The local propane store had a larger one and it has been flawless since. About 3 years now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Our previous home was older with a newer addition. They put in a separate, second traditional NG water heater in the addition. I did away with both, replacing them with a single NG heater. That saved ~$25/m -- $300/yr.

Retired and built a new house in the sticks with on demand LP water heater. It periodically heats water and circulates it so when the tap is opened, hot water comes out within just a few seconds....Yearly expense of LP (for water heating AND cooking) is ~$300/yr-- and LP is considerably more expensive than NG.

OTOH- on demand heaters cost considerably more than traditional heaters, but last 2-3x longer.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
On my off grid property I have a camp type, on demand, propane fired, battery ignition water heater. About $150. It heats the very cold well water to a good temp for having a shower or washing dishes. It could heat the water hot enough to be really uncomfortable but not hot enough to burn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rinnai is the brand I have. It made it through hurricane harvey mounted outside on a house pier. Its maybe 50ft from ocean water edge. Valves and electrical boxes are corroding but the rinnai looks flawless. Must be stainless steel casing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some things I have learned....

Are you using a well? If so, what is your well water's average temperature?

We have a well that is roughly 50 degrees on average. So we would have to size the water heater accordingly. To get the rise we need (70+ degrees) requires a lot of burners. Obviously, the more burners, the more propane it would use. So, anything less than that wouldn't really be "instant".

You'll need to know your flow rate in GPM of your system. I think the standard starting point for most tankless heaters is like 45 degrees per gallon/min.

You then need to know how many areas of the house will need to use hot water at the same time. Kitchen? Appliances? Other bathrooms? I think 9.5gpm is rated for 3 bathrooms at a time, but only at a 35degree temperature rise.

In the end, we chose to stay with a standard tank system. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a Noritz. We only moved in in September so I can't tell you a ton about it but, so far, we like it. The only thing is that "on demand" isn't really "on demand". It's more "run the water for a minute or so and then I'll get hot". It does go from warm to hot very quickly but it does take that minute to get to warm.
How far is your heater from your point of use ?
Traditionally on demand heaters were mounted under the Kitchen sink because Because of the multiple small uses there in preparing foods and washing hands.
if it took a minute to get from there to the shower no big deal.

In my cabin I had a 200,000 BTU on-demand heater served by 1 inch propane line mounted 2 feet from the bathroom sink 8 feet from the kitchen sink and 40 feet from the shower and the delay to hot water at each was about 2,8 and 20 seconds
If you use your water heater to heat your house the wait should only be the 3 feet or so from the circulating line during heating season!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
How far is your heater from your point of use ?
Traditionally on demand heaters were mounted under the Kitchen sink because Because of the multiple small uses there in preparing foods and washing hands.
if it took a minute to get from there to the shower no big deal.

In my cabin I had a 200,000 BTU on-demand heater served by 1 inch propane line mounted 2 feet from the bathroom sink 8 feet from the kitchen sink and 40 feet from the shower and the delay to hot water at each was about 2,8 and 20 seconds
If you use your water heater to heat your house the wait should only be the 3 feet or so from the circulating line during heating season!
It's in the basement directly under the primary bathroom next to all the water treatment equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts