propane heater question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by uarelovedbygod, Nov 16, 2004.

1. uarelovedbygod

uarelovedbygod Well-Known Member

Looking for an owners manual for a martin propane space heater. Any suggestions?

thanks!

--chris

2. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

I dont know where to find a manual but if you need it for fixing the heater or for how to use I may be able to help I used to own a heating company.

3. uarelovedbygod

silosounds,

Thanks for the offer. I have a 10 year old martin space heater that I can't start this season. The pilot light stays lit only as long as I hold the pilot button down. I replaced the thermocouple and did not notice any improvement. I am looking for advice on whether there is something cheap I can try to fix the problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

--Chris

4. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

There are a number of things that can be wrong. First, is the flame of the pilot impinging on the top one-third of the thermo couple (t/c)? If not, you can’t generate enough power to keep the valve magnet open for the pilot. To adjust this, push up or down on the t/c until the flame is in the right spot. If this is okay, then check to see if the t/c is too tight in the valve. This will cause a short between the two connections interior of the valve causing the magnet not to stay open when t/c is heated. If this is okay, then you might need to be a little more handy. Remove new t/c from valve and unscrew the magnet from the valve body. This should reveal the magnet mechanism. Make sure you shut off gas supply to the furnace before you do this. This may cause the valve to leak some gas. Once you have the magnet out of the valve, reattach new t/c to the magnet, then heat the end of the t/c with a liter or match, some kind of heat source and heat until you think the t/c is hot enough to generate. This should take no more than one minute. Then push up on the plunger on the magnet mechanism and it should stay up. If it doesn’t, this means you have a open-circuit in your magnet and it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, it is hard to find a new magnet in some of the older gas valves as they change over the years. If this is the case, let me know, I may have one that might match your model number. You can also see if your local furnace company would let you scrounge through their old furnaces that they usually throw in the dump anyways to see if there is a match. You may even find a different gas valve that would work for you. If you find a magnet that works for you, just apply a small amount of pipe dope on the threads before you install it into your old valve. Then, turn on gas supply and check for leaks with high concentrated soapy solution, such as, Dawn, Palmolive, etc. You may check to see if the new magnet is any good by the same process before you reinstall it. Please be sure you have no gas leaks. This is very important! Please be sure that your handy before you attempt these things I have said. You may want to bypass what I have said and purchase a new valve usually ranging in price from $90-$180 depending on your model. I might be able to hook you up with a company that could ship to you. :)

Terry

5. uarelovedbygod

thank you thank you thank you........the problem was the t/c was too tight in the valve...such an easy fix!!! My wife is happily warm now!!