Propane gas water heater.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dlangland, Jul 22, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

My new place has a gas water heater. I have only ever had electric my entire life. It's 3 yrs. old. Is there anyhing special I need to be aware of? I do need to figure out hos to turn down the temp even thouh i don't have little kids. I think it has to be wasting fuel. When I turn the water faucet in the kitchen straight up, the water is piercing hot.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

there should be a knob on the bottom to ajust the temp
    and something not very many people is every couple months drain about a gallon of water from the bottom drain it stops the sludge from forming on the bottom of the tank thats what rots them out can add 2 years to its life

3. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Good suggestions from MtMan.If water is scalding hot, turn down the temp control & wait awhile before draining, to avoid burns.[ I have seen 180° come from these. !!] I would also add ,that the first time I drained some water from it, I would drain 5 gallons, or maybe more. Previous owner may have never done that before & much sediment may be in bottom.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i took out a working electric water heater and replaced it with propane. it is WAY cheaper to heat water with propane, and it seems to recover quicker too. yes, if you look on the side or bottom, there will be a thermostat to adjust. also should be a door for the pilot light, if it ever goes out, and directions on how to relight. i dont know if they are all like this, but if for some reason the tank is drained of water, a safety feature puts out the pilot.