Propane gas logs-stinky!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jollyrogersloot, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Jollyrogersloot

Jollyrogersloot New Member

My propane logs were stinking to high heaven the last few days!!!! It was bitter cold...teens or less..................today it is in the forties and there is absolutely no smell from the logs...How can this be???? I can't help but think it is outside temperature related. ...The smell was not a gas smell...just a very acidy burn your eyes type of smell...I have no gas leaks to the logs so I am not smelling a gas leak....anybody have any ideas as to what could be happening here????

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

it could be that the vent was not staying warm enough to encourage proper flu venting.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

You might also check the level of your propane tank. I get a odor like that just before it goes dry.

4. oldhoot

oldhoot In Remembrance

I assume the gas logs are not vented. Most of'm are not. Tank pressure is lower in cold weather and that will make'm stink. Also if the tank is low --same thing-the pressure drops and it'll stink. Careful tho-if it's the non-vent-check the flame and make sure it's not yellow. Yellow indicates CO! Lint and other crud will build up in the burner port and slow down the combustion air. Result is CO! oldhoot