propane fridge

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mike0331, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mike0331

mike0331 Member

got this problem with this fridge i got for free ....it works and all but i want to go to propane ....however it doesnt have a screw hook up ...but like a ?rod ? hook up or a ?needle ? hookup i have the regulator and such .... it is a dometic just alittle thing ....3x4 siize any words of wisdom???????? mike

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

1st. question-------------Is it a Propane fridge or a regular fridge that you want to convert to propane?

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

take a size measurement of the pipe, go to the hardware store and tell em you need a compression fitting going all the way to the size of the outlet on your propane... I do compression, although code usually requires flare fittings, depending on where you are....

4. bryon huff

bryon huff Well-Known Member

do it right the first time or it could kill you in your sleep

5. mike0331

mike0331 Member

well it is a 2 way propane and elec.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I use compression with natural gas and propane...for twenty years with no problem... Had a gas fridge, with compression fittings, no problem... I have free natural gas off a well in my back pasture. The mechanics who service the gas well use compression fittings, even for the high pressure fittings.

The key with any gas hookup, is to doublecheck the line for leaks, with soapy water (not matches :stars: ) before using it.

Now you do need to worry about carbon monoxide, if your home is very tightly insulated... as the gas has to go somewhere... I always kept a few windows open upstairs and down, just for that purpose....

7. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

Dometic fridges are made for campers/travel trailers/motorhomes and generally run off of propane and sometime are both 110 and propane. Look on the back for a model number and send them an e-mail. They will send you the manual which includes the specs and hook-up diagrams. I have an older one in my pop-up and they sent me an e-mail within 2 days.

Good luck

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Be sure it gets vented properly. They put out some pretty nasty fumes if not vented.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Just talked about on another thread.Get a CO/propane detector,a NightHawk with digital readout is only 55 dollars.Since you arent too sure about this setup,I would think you would really want one in this application.

You can google for your machine,there is a very good site that covers em all,but I couldnt find it for you,so thats up to you Im afraid.But the info CAN be found to help you out.

Some random thoughts from an RV board.....

http://www.rvmobile.com/

A thread from an RV Board
    "The hardest challenge was the propane line and fittings. The old fridge propane fitting was an inch outboard of the new fridge's propane fitting. This might not sound like an issue, but copper pipe doesn't like to be bent sharply: It cracked after trying a dozen times to make it fit. I finally cracked and opened up the wallet...off to Lowes I went for tubing, more end fittings, a 90 degree fitting, a tubing cutter, and a tubing flaring tool. I should have bought these anyway since all my plumbing, water AND gas, is the same 1/4" ID copper tubing with flares and flare fittings. The hardest part was getting the tools to fit in the tight spaces...took a while, but its leak free and looks almost professional...lol."

http://www.rvmobile.com/TECH/TROUBLE/GASSYS.HTM

BooBoo