Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had our tanks filled today, $2.09 a gallon. What is the cost in your area? We are in Northern Illinois.
Tom

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
$1.51 here today. Booked last fall at $2.20. Somebody is getting stuck.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I think it was $1.89 last July/August when I filled up, which I have to do only once per year.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow I would take any of those figures. I had mine filled yesterday at $2.88. I thought it was a deal over last year. I know we have the most expensive place in the state. I need to look into changing over the summer. I wish I had any of your figures.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am having mine filled at 100 gal today. I called around yesterday and the prices were $2.85------ $2.89------$2.75. I have to get mine at $2.85 I rent a tank for now. I paid $2.95 in the summer. I would love to know why it is still high here in central Alabama when some of you are reporting below $2.00 gal?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ditto -- $2.09, Southern Ohio.

The beauty, though, is we installed our coal/woodstove this season. We both work, and don't want to leave an unattended woodstove, so we use the propane as backup. Set on 50 degrees -- just high enough to keep the pipes from freezing. Below 50, not enough heat gets into the walls/basement and pipes tend to freeze up when it's 20 outside.

In a normal winter season we would have had 2 fillups of 300(ish) gallons each by now. They came in last week and put in 73 galons -- for two and a half months of use. We're only using about 30 gallons a month. Woot! At this rate, the stove, pipe, installation, *everything* will have paid for itself in a single season and it's all gravy (savings!) from there. CAVEAT: As long as the wood is free. So far, that's not an issue. With the storms from the huricane earlier this year, there's enough "blow-down" to keep us in free wood for the next 2 or 3 seasons at least.

I can't believe we didn't do this sooner.

Buh-bye Mr. Propane and your bank-account-busting bills!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts