Propagation anyone?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by shadowwalker, Sep 18, 2006.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I took my first shot a propagation. I have Rose of Sharon, lavendar and red. I have Apricot,I don't know what kind. Off a tree beside the abandonded house across the road. I have jasmine, I think japanese. I have weeping willow. I have Autumn Olive, Spicebush, Hazelnut, something called Chimoyia (I think). Next is grafting. One good thing about this is, if it dosn't work I can just throw the sticks out in the compost pile right?
    I have propagated the rose of sharon a couple times this summer and it worked about half the time. Now I am doing it "right". As per real directions. I also will be trying hardwoods this winter when they go dormant. I am trying to get on the freecycles and such to get medicinals to do this to. Not haveing much luck though.

2. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey ShadowWalker; www.dipngrow.com Is liquid rooting hormone.Works really great on hardwood cuttings.Costs less that $10.00.Oh and it is Cherimoya.They do have a great taste.Grows into a Large tree.You could also go with giberellic acid but its more expensive and harder to use.

3. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Better get yourself some hormone rooting compound. there are three strengths.
    i use dip n grow, or a powdered form. dip n grow seems to be doing pretty good. IF you have to use level 1 hormone you water it down to the require ppm, if you need level 2 its less water and level 3 is full strenght.
    You do need to get a professional strength, of which your going to have to order from a growers supply house. that stuff in wally world is garbage.

some hardwoods you cannot propagate.
    Uhmm There is a book out there that is the bible of propagation. lists all deciduous trees as well as conifers and how to propagate.
    i'll try to remember to post the name of it tomorrow.

Steve

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

The book is The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation (From Seed to Tissue Culture) by Dirr & Heuser. I have it and it is a great book it was around $30 on Amazon.com.

5. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Thats it. I just couldn't remember the name. Someone walked off with my copy. grumble.
    i need to get me another one.

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information and tips. I checked out the rooting hormone. I have two kinds one is a liquid and it is supposed to be used in the water after planting. The other is ( OOPS) the one from wally world. It has worked for the other plants so far. I thank you for the name of the book and the real name of the plant. I had about 400 plants stolen from my greenhouse last spring, after my plant giveaway. I guess someone wanted them real bad. These were the rootstock and propagation and seed stock for next year. But I had real good luck takeing off the plants of the wifes around the house.

7. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Also try www.Landspro.com lots of friendly folks and tons of good info. This turned me onto propogation of azaleas, gardenias, and other plants and now I have a yard full of them.