Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We would like to expand our berry garden. Can I propagate new plants this time of year ? We have, red-white-black currents, goose berries, haskap blue berries, strawberry. We still have lots of snow 2' plus on the ground. Minus 0 to 40 above temps.
So how can I get starts?
Thanks folks

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,343 Posts
Wait till after the snow.

Strawberries

Blackberries

·
Registered
580 Posts
We would like to expand our berry garden. Can I propagate new plants this time of year ?
+ + + +
You don't give a general location or growing zone, so it is hard at best to near impossible to offer help.
Here in our zone 2, we do surprisingly well with some of the varieties you mention.. Some do well, others not..
Over a significant period of time we have added to, and replaced bushes with varieties that fit our zone 2 limits..
Again... Depending on your location you may have some success with varieties on either end of your zone limits..
Location, location, location makes a difference..

Every ones experience will be different..

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Generally speaking, for those of us who live where we have normal 4 seasons, strawberries do best when propagated in the fall, while the woody berry bushes/canes do better when propagated by cuttings in the spring although often they take a year to get established before producing in significant amounts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all. Excuse me for not noting my location. Alaska, Su portion of Mat Su valley. North of Anchorage but not far enough.
We have rabbits n neighbors have goats n chickens so access to a nice array of compost materials. I do side dress with 8-32-16.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts