Homesteading Forum banner

Proofreading at home?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  homebirtha 
#1 ·
Someone here mentioned that they work for a newspaper (or magazine, can't remember, sorry :() but I'm wondering if proofreading is something I can do from home and get paid.

Anyone know??

#2 ·
I do technical editing from home, for a nearby at-home company. But I also have a degree in journalism and over 10 years experience in writing, editing, etc. If you have experience, send your resume around and see what you get. Try book publishers, magazines, newspapers, etc. Books are probably your best bet though. They're more conducive to working from home because they're longer projects than say, a 2-page magazine article.

But, yeah, it's a good gig if you can get it.

#4 ·
Why dont you place an ad in the local paper that you proofread/redirect c.v.'s, business letters and reports? You also could try calling small business that have to write a lot of reports (psychologist ect.), their not always keen writers ;)

The prices if seen over here are around 10 euro's/usd per c.v. /page of businessletter and about 10 euros/usd/hour for proof reading of reports. (have seen prices upto 35 euros/usd per page)

regards Henk

#6 ·
You could always try working in a law office if you love finding mistakes!! But, then.. you would probably be proofing your OWN mistakes as a sec/para!! LOL! OH, well.

#7 ·
I used to do some proof reading for a court reporter. It's usualy quick, small stuff, needed in fairly fast time frame, but pays well. More than normal since they are paying for your integrity as well as the proof reading. You could check and see who does the court reporting in your area. In many areas they work out of an agency and go to lawyers offices by appt for depositions.

PQ

#10 ·
New Mexican said:
Someone here mentioned that they work for a newspaper (or magazine, can't remember, sorry :() but I'm wondering if proofreading is something I can do from home and get paid.

Anyone know??

If you're interested in this kind of work-from-home, you might look into Guru.com. They have a bidding system where people bid on various jobs, such as writing, editing, computer work and stuff like that. I'm sure proof-reading was among the types of work available.

They offer a free membership, but that only allows you to bid on jobs within a narrow skill-set and within your geographic region. Being in Canada, I had to try the paid membership to get anything, and still had no luck :) But the free level might be more beneficial to someone in the States.

#13 ·
>She pays 30 cents/page. Is that good? Does anyone know?

I get $2.00 page for full editing, $1.80 for "light" edits (things like a new edition of a textbook that doesn't have a lot of new material), and $1.50 for proofreading (which is just proofing gallies, etc. No rewriting or heavy editing.)

BUT, I'm in a spendy area and these are BIG clients: college textbook publishers. But I think 30 cents a page is pretty low, to be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.