Prolapsed uterus: prognosis?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Oct 30, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Has anyone ever dealt with this situation? Did the cow recover? Was she able to go on and have more calves?

One of my favorite cows at work calved yesterday, and prolapsed sometime during the night. The vet came out and ... stuffed her back in, so to speak! ... and stitched her up.

I'm supposed to keep her on LA200 ... my boss also took my suggestion ;) that I bed down the (really mucky!) close-up pen with fresh straw to try to keep her environment clean and dry.

Anything I should watch out for? She lost a LOT of blood ... seems pretty wobbly, poor girl!

BTW she had an ENORMOUS heifer calf! I couldn't believe it ... she is not a very big cow! This was her 3rd calf ... I don't know whether she had complications with the others ... the boss didn't mention anything if she did.

Keeping my fingers crossed ...

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've put a bunch of them back together. Keep it clean and watch for infection. Most of them will settle again if there are no other underlying problems. I don't know if you use BHT, but I know that feedlot heifers that get growth implants are prone to this (even steers will doit, different aperture of course). I don't know if BHT can cause this or not. Should say in the literature. If so, try to see she gets skipped from now on.

3. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

I was reading with curiosity, waiting for the 'punch line' and it was there! BIG CALF! Probably one of the biggest (no pun intended!) reason for prolapsing. Another is over-conditioned (fat) and under-exercised.

If my cow comes back in the fall bred (the vet usually has to cut the stitches to check), and I like her, then I keep her. If it happens again, I cull her. I figure over the years about half of the prolapsed cows that I have turned out have come back bred.
    Kestrel

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks for the encouraging information. :)

Ya know, I asked my boss if overconditioning was a risk factor because she used to be a butterball, and he argued that A) it wasn't and B) she wasn't. :confused: I didn't know what to think because it's true she doesn't look so fat now ... it's like her belly was all calf. But she's certainly not skinny, either (still has a comfortable layer of fat over her pin and hip bones).

I had been giving her LA200 for foot rot in the weeks prior to calving because she has a real bad foot in back. It was bad when she was being milked before and didn't clear up on its own while she was dried off. :( The extra LA200 now sure won't hurt her ... ;)

Oh, and we don't use BHT. I'm not sure if she grew up on our farm, or was purchased, and thus may have been exposed to it elsewhere.

5. AnnB

AnnB Member

Could there be mold in the hay?

Some molds are estrogenic and can cause a prolapse.
    It comes to mind because there were a lot more prolapses than normal in Missouri this last late winter/early spring. Dad had cows that partially prolapsed before calving, his neighbors had cows prolapsing before and after calving, and it was caused by a particular type of mold in the hay.

Ann B

6. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

She probably was overconditioned but in the last trimester, it all goes into the calf - well, that might be an exageration but a lot of that feed goes to the calf and they get nothing but bigger. We see a lot of big calves and calvig problems when we have an open winter. The lack of snow leaves the dead grass exposed and with the usual winter feeding programs, the assisted deliveries and complications increase incredibly. It's really not much different from humans, if a woman is going to eat for a two and gain incredible amounts of weight, she usually has a huge baby and delivery complications.

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Now that is an interesting theory ...

Due to her bad foot, she has been kept in the close-up pen for the last couple weeks, because she was lying down and getting rolled over on her bad foot, on the concrete, then couldn't seem to get up. She seemed to do better in the pen which has a dirt floor (I think -- could be just many layers of muck over the concrete!)

She was being fed baled hay, and I noticed when I put some out this morning, that it was kind of wet and nasty-looking ... Hmmmm.

Is there any way to test the hay?

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Please note, I should have said BGH, not BHT....duh

9. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

BGH, BHT, MGA, GnHR ... there are too many danged acronyms in dairy farming! I can't keep track of them all! ARGHHHHHHH!

:haha:

10. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Ditch her, she'll do it again.

<Bummer, I didnt read it all again. She's not yours, you cant ditch her>

11. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

LOL Opus ... I was telling my husband about her yesterday ... he said, "Well, either she'll recover ... or you'll go down and buy her at the sale!"

Don't forget I'm running Willowgirl's Home for Wayward Holsteins here! ;)

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Oh I forgot to add ... she was holding her own today ... getting up, eating and drinking, and even made a surprising amount of milk, considering!

Still keeping fingers crossed ...

13. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Willow,

Don't forget to keep us posted on whether or not Twister and gangs breeding took. I still have my fingers crossed especially for Twister.

14. AnnB

AnnB Member

Your County Extension office should be able to tell you where to have testing done.

AnnB

15. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I will mention the hay thing to my boss ...

Thanks Christina! The girls are due to come back into heat in a couple days if the AI was unsuccessful ... if it's not raining tomorrow, I'm going to take them up the road and put them in with the neighbor's bull. I have to go out of town for 2 weeks for training for my new job, so my husband won't have to muck the cow shed while I'm gone!!! My neighbor is having his cows preg checked on Dec. 2, so I'll put them through the chute then and bring them home afterwards (if I can convince them to leave the herd and that 200 acre pasture!!!).

16. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Anything that prolapses on me I cull !!!!!!!! Had one do it one year next year she did the same thing. I said fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!!!!!! These are beef cattle I'm dealing with.

17. biscoe

biscoe Member

Is it vaginal or uterine prolapse. If it was uterine prolase stitch her back up and she has a good chance of being ok. If vaginal I'd cull her in a hurry. A prolapse during birth isn't near as bad as a prolapse before birth. Cull all of them that prolapse before birth and any resulting heifers they bare. It is genetic.

biscoe