Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just started working on our upstairs hallway. It is just about the last thing to be done upstairs (still need to replace bathroom fixtures). Here's a pic of our "curvy" hallway. You can see on the left where the woodwork has been removed along the floor. Several of the pieces were kerfed to go around the curve.

We will be taking down all the woodwork (about 70 pieces including 2 doors), repairing and refinishing it, sanding and refinishing the floor, repairing the ceilling and putting in new light fixtures, and putting wallpaper liner and wallpaper over the paneling. Because of the amount of woodwork, we should be finished with this project next spring!

Here's a pic showing where one of the original carpenters signed and dated the back of a piece of woodwork (Aug 10, 1910):

Here's a pic of an 18' piece of ceiling trim that was too long to make it around the corners and down the stairs so we had to put it out the upstairs window:

And here's a pic of the firewood storage racks that we just put roofs on. The squirrels think that we built them picnic pavilions!

What projects are you working on around your house?

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
You can tell its an old house. The hallway is narrow, and it also looks a bit curved??

A ghost hunter looking at that first photo may swear of plenty of orbs in the pic.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
What a narrow hallway! You better be real well acquainted with someone should you meet them in the middle of the night. LOL
The wood is lovely!
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FiddleKat said:
You can tell its an old house. The hallway is narrow, and it also looks a bit curved??

A ghost hunter looking at that first photo may swear of plenty of orbs in the pic.
I think those orbs are a problem with my camera! :)

The hallway curves in kind of a stretched out S. It is wider at the far end than it is where I took the photo.

Patty - when we moved up here, the agent tried to steer us away from this area (and into a more expensive area!) because of its reputation. Folks have done a lot of improvements since then.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MicheleMomof4 said:
What a narrow hallway! You better be real well acquainted with someone should you meet them in the middle of the night. LOL
The wood is lovely!
God Bless,
Michele
Michele - I just measured. The narrow end is 29" and the wider end is 33". The good thing is that if you ever couldn't get past someone, you could just turn around and go down the stairs. There's a staircase at both ends of the hall!

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Cindy in NY said:
Michele - I just measured. The narrow end is 29" and the wider end is 33". The good thing is that if you ever couldn't get past someone, you could just turn around and go down the stairs. There's a staircase at both ends of the hall!
Wow! That is an awesome feature! I think old houses have so much charm!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TRAILRIDER said:
OH MY GREEN GRASS! Here in KY the grass is barely green anymore. I'm so jealous!
Trust me, we have lots of browned out spots! I saw a chart recently that showed NY State as having a soil water deficit of between 30 and 50%.

FiddleKat - the two staircases are neat until you're trying to catch a cat!!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's that Victorian whimsy! That's why the outside of our attic windows look like portholes!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Cindy in NY said:
Wow, staircases! Everything in Florida is flat. Your house is beautiful Cindy! :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Cindy,
Before you start with the wallpaper liner and paper over the top of that wood, make sure you seal that wood really well against any kind of moisture. Two products come to mind. Gardz or DrawTite. Oil base. The moisture from the wallpaper installation could make the wood paneling warp and force the seams open. It is a really important first step! And just in case you didn't know, you need to hang the liner horizontally instead of vertically like the wallpaper will be installed. I had a wallpaper installation company for 23 years so have lots of experience. When you get to that point, if you have questions pm me and I will help you all I can.
What a beautiful project to have. Lovely house and neighborhood. I am envious. I am down here where nothing is old, everything is new and there is no character anymore. I used to have a home in Michigan that had two stairways. The ghost used to hang out at the back stairway! Kind of unnerving till you got used to her. Got any freeloaders of your own?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Chickenmommy! I kept a message from you earlier with the instructions for covering the paneling. We've picked out a paper that looks like plaster with a bit of a pink tone to go with the cherry woodwork. I'll be sure to contact you if I have questions!

Haven't see any ghosts but we do have a gremlin that takes things! Usually important papers! Most recently, the wand to one of the mini blinds disappeared when I took it down to clean it. Found it today in a spot that I had already checked several times!

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Cindy-

Have I asked you b/4 where in the 'Dacks you are? We go every other year to Old Forge & stay on 4th Lake. DH says he'd love to live there. I know we could never survive the winters! His family has vacationed on 4th Lake for over 100 years. Beautiful, just beautiful. Went last year & will go again next year.

Patty

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tricky Grama said:
Cindy-

Have I asked you b/4 where in the 'Dacks you are? We go every other year to Old Forge & stay on 4th Lake. DH says he'd love to live there. I know we could never survive the winters! His family has vacationed on 4th Lake for over 100 years. Beautiful, just beautiful. Went last year & will go again next year.

Patty
We are down near Glens Falls at the base of the mountains. Are you talking about Fourth Lake near Lake Luzerne or is there another one near Old Forge? We go past the one near Lake Luzerne when we go out there several times a year.

Winters are one reason we moved here! We can't stand the heat so today's 68 degrees is just about perfect! We get at least 65" of snow every winter which is fine with me!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Looks like you are doing a great job! Lots of work on those old houses. I should know. We have finally finished ours(at least for now). We have been working on it for years. A room or 2 per winter.

This year we will be building a new pole barn. I am really excited about that and add some features. A feed room and maybe running water. That would be great!

Good Luck and take your time. It looks great so far!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts