Homesteading Forum banner

Progress

5K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Nimrod 
#1 ·
I put the barn construction project to bed last fall with the first story completed and a tarp over it. I buried posts like I was building a pole barn, put 2 2X6's across the top, and 24 foot long floor joists on them.
Wood Lumber Beam Wood stain Plywood

Got a slow start this spring but am making progress. The first thing was to take the plywood off the opening for the large doors, build them, and hang them. CHECK
Property Garage Building Shed Land lot

Next started on the roof. I had an extra 24 foot floor joist/I beam so I used that for a gin pole. I braced it so the weight lifting the gable end wall would be on the stiffest side.
Wood Siding Roof Wall Shed

I built the gable end wall on what will be the second floor. Then used a block and tackle to raise it. It's amazing what a lone individual can accomplish with a block and tackle.
Roof Tree Wood Log cabin

All the way up.
Swing Pole Outdoor play equipment Tree Net

I built some trusses and lifted them the same way. Don't know if it's standard construction practice to build the gable end wall 1 1/2 inches smaller that the trusses, notch the first 2 trusses, and put in horizontal 2X4's to make a very sturdy overhang but that's what I did. I didn't finish putting in the 2X4's for the overhang because I needed the sawzall and that was at home.
Architecture Construction Roof Scaffolding House

So far so good.

See less See more
#10 ·
I camped on the land over the summer. Finished building and erecting the trusses.
Vegetation Property Tree Grass family Plant community

Then I built the overhangs and ears. Last weekend the guys I let hunt; Josh, Chris, and Jared came up. We worked "can see" to "can't see" both days. Put up most of the plywood and synthetic tar paper.
House Property Home Rural area Tree

I can do the rest of the plywood and tar paper myself. Just need to rest up a bit first so I went home today. Wound up cleaning the mouse nests out of the Bronco's heater ducts so I have heat for the winter. Seems to be a annual chore the last few years.

#18 ·
That's good to hear that you were able to do this by yourself. I'll have to remember how to lift the trusses. I had planned on doing it from the ground with a 2x3 push pole to flip it up against a stop.

Reactions: Mickie3
#23 ·
Another summer and more progress, although not as much as I'd hoped. Ain't that always the case? I had hoped that Chris and company would come up one weekend and help put up shingles but they decided not to hunt my land this year. The DNR found a case of chronic wasting disease in my area and put new regulations on what you can do with deer shot in my area. the guys opted not to deal with them. I wound up putting up 52 bundles of shingles myself. Some of the synthetic tar paper needed to be replaced to. I also put on 15 gallons of white primer.

Property Rural area House Building Chapel

Finished for winter. Didn't have wind and weather for a coat of oops paint after I finished the roof.

Barn Property House Roof Building

Note the base for a cupola. Gonna have one for ventilation and topped with a weather vane.

Leaf Tree Autumn Plant community House

The weather forecast looked bad for this weekend so I drained the well, put the camper in the barn for the winter, and went home yesterday. This is what I woke up to.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Off-road vehicle

Not as bad as ND but I am glad I'm where I can snuggle up to the wood stove. Now I have to block up and split 5 cords of oak.

Snow Logging Winter Tree Wood

Not bad for a one eyed fat man, eh? (ref True Grit)

#25 ·
Well done, Nimrod! And thank you again for the lovely tomatoes. I have been enjoying them since returning from Texas!

Time for us to dig in and get the pre-winter chores completed. Sadly, during a break today from splitting and stacking firewood, I managed to wound myself and take myself (temporarily) out of commission. My poor Cabin Fever had to complete today's chores alone. :( Phooey.

I hope your progress means you won't have to get back up on that roof anytime soon. Lordy. What a feat for a one-man crew! Well done!

#26 ·
WIHH, Glad you got back in time to enjoy some of the tomatoes before they spoiled. CF said he doesn't like tomatoes. Did he just step off the Mayflower? Back in those days tomatoes were thought to be piousness. Only witches and warlocks could eat one without dying. What does that make you and me?

I am going to get back up on the roof to build the cupola. I hope to do that from inside the cupola though.

#28 ·
52 bundles? Uff dah! I hope that you had a lift to at least get them to the roof..

#29 ·
No lift. I carried them up the ladder 10 at a time. When I roofed my house years ago there was a flat spot so I had the shingles delivered to that spot via a conveyer. This time no flat spot and up on the roof delivery not an option.

That's OK. It got me in shape for the blocking, splitting, and stacking firewood I"v been doing since. Five full cords so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.