Progress with the legs

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by needstoknowmore, Mar 29, 2006.

1. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

We have lovingly nic-named her, the walking time bomb. Which is helping us keep reality in check. But today when I redid her splints. I do this everyday to make sure they are not rubbing , getting wet, and to work the joints. I could see improvement in one leg. It was much more straighter than it had been. Although the vet suggested putting the splints all the way up the leg, we didn't. Not that I usually go against the vets advise. But his reasoning was that it would give it a better chance to not let it bend. I had taken her splints off for the ride in, so he wasn't able to see how I was doing with them. But I was pretty sure that they where not able to bend. So I am very happy with the results that I am now getting. We have one more shot to go. After seeing the vet do it, and asking for advise on how to make it easier on all of us. Last night was much better. And I did ask hubby if he thought he could still eat her. And he pretty much said no. I had asked on here how long it should take to staighten the legs, but I didn't get back to see if there was an answer before the crash. But we where able to ask somebody locally that has had to deal with this and he says 2 to 3 weeks. She was 11 days old before I got and kept the splints on her. So I am guessing it might take a little longer since she was older.
    Here are a couple of pictures of her the day I brought her home, she was 8 days old.
    I need to get some more pictures of her. When I got her, her name was Ellie Mae. Hubby thought Ellie Moo was better. So she has become Ellie Moo.
    http://usera.imagecave.com/horsestoes/EllieMae/EllieMae007-copy.jpg
    http://usera.imagecave.com/horsestoes/EllieMae/EllieMae008-copy.jpg

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Ellie Moo is making some improvement. She's a cutie. She must love hearing the sound of your voice, knowing her momma is coming. I'll show my students tomorrow who they are praying for.

3. needstoknowmore

Thank you! When I told her that you and your students where praying for her, she started licking me. I think she appriciates it too. I will try to get a new picture of her, as she is now 20 days old. Wow, where has the time gone. Hubby even noticed how much more active she was tonight. And how her tail wags while she is drinking her bottle. All it takes to get her excited is just hearing the barn opening. She gets up wondering what she is going to get. I always talk to her and go in and pet her. She is not the only baby or animal on the place, but she is the highest priority. Today she showed interest in water, for only the second time. Still not wanting any grain or hay, but we keep trying. Right now we are all living on prayers, hope and love. And she seems to be thriving on them!! :)

4. Christina R.

How is Ellie Moo doing? Is she still showing signs of blood in her poop? Tell her we're rootin' for her.

5. needstoknowmore

No more blood. But not enough poop today! But she is doing very well. I can't even get her to stay laying down long enough to redo her splints. Tomorrow I will get help, because I think we are making enough progress that they need to be tightened. I need to get a new picture, but have lots of other new babies, but she is the first priority when it comes to care. :) Today she got some extra loves. We had friends over and they had to pet her and give her her bottle. She seems to steel the hearts of everybody that meets her. :)

6. Christina R.

I'm so glad to hear she's not only hanging in there, but she's making strides in the right direction. My students are going to love hearing this news (and seeing the pictures when they come)!