Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3.5 year old Pygmy goat and we ended up in a situation where she ended up being an only goat. She has never been alone or lonely but she did not have any goat friends... we thought she needed a goat friend so we looked for a match and thought we had found one in a Nigerian Dwarf Goat just about the same age and size as our Pygmy. Unfortunately, the dwarf goat has just a few pounds on our goat, and maybe 1/2 in taller... the first day/night was rough. We kept them separate and they head butted each other for hours through the fence... when they began to tolerate each other, we gradually introduced and things are slowly progressing.. but the Nigerian dwarf goat seems pretty aggressive and I’m unsure if it’s to the point that I should keep them separate for a while, or if I’m being a helicopter goat mom and I should grab a glass of wine and stop worrying so much...

They do seem to be “hanging out” a bit more. So for example, they chose to lay next to each other in the sun the other day. They sort of hang out near each other under our pygmys favorite tree...although it often erupts in aggressive pushing and butting. I also caught them rubbing their foreheads together nicely the other day.. which I thought was a good sign, until they erupted into aggressive pushing and butting.. seems like our Pygmy is really doing her best to be friendly and the dwarf goat is being kind of nasty..

When do you know what is too much? Did I make a terrible mistake by getting a slightly larger (maybe 5lbs?) goat? Will they ever get along? 😭 halp 😭🙏

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Early on raising pigs, we put a little 3 month old boar into the pen with a few year old girls.
They kicked his little butt from one end of the yard to the other every day. He would squeal bloody murder and run right back into the crowd only to repeat, repeat, repeat. He would get a few bites on his hams or his ear occasionally, but nothing serious..
If there was food, they would lift him up using their snouts and flip him. He would squeal and run right back.
If they were wallowing in the pool, they would chase him 15'. As soon as they stopped and turned around he was right behind them.
He would try to mount them even though he may have been 30 pounds and they were 150.
He never quit or seemed afraid.
The food fighting actually went on between all of them, we just noticed him because he was so small.
Eventually he ran that yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts