Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to do a little research on (relatively) affordable and durable products and methods for sealing/protecting raw steel from corrosion.

Products like automobile-grade clear sealing, enameling and powder-coating are too cost/labor prohibitive, and will cover up the look of the raw steel (without the rusty look) we're going for

I have seen many recommendations for a product called Penetrol, which is typically used as a paint additive, but apparently, is really good for sealing raw paint, as well. Has anyone used it for this purpose? If so, any knowledge on its durability - specifically against UV damage, since it would be an exterior application in the southwest? how often it needs re-application?

Others have recommended linseed oil-based wax. Again, any pointers on durability?

·
Registered
857 Posts
seal raw steel?spray?-wd-40.grease-good old cosmoline.in our steel shop we use a waterbased coolant called blaser from Canada-put it on thick.a wax base would have issues coming off for lets say welding!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is for a commercial application, so we need something with very high durability that dries...which rules out petroleum products.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
http://www.everbrite.net/ Will probably be about the best you can find for trying to protect raw steel and have it clear. It's more for indoor use, but it does work well outdoors.. Artists use it.. .My sister-in-law's grand father was a steel sculptor and he used it on some of his works..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts