"Producers 18% AV Lactation Pellets enough calcium?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexCountryWoman, Apr 19, 2005.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My neighbor down the road bought 2 tons of "Producers 18% AV Lactation Dairy cattle and goat pellets" at a fixed price and then her dairy goats failed this spring. She made a barter with me to trade milk for her hogs for her goat feed. It comes out extremely good for both of us. I get 200# of feed for 3 gallons of milk as she want's to unload this feed before it spoils and she is desparate for the milk to feed her weaner pig. I am going to give her more milk than that but that is all she asked for. I already get two gallons a day from my 2 LaManchas on 15% feed with one milking with the kids with the moms 24/7. The kids are 2-3 weeks old. I feed alfalfa pellets, sweet feed, corn chops, and browse with a bit of coastal hay (a handful).

The instructions on the Lactation Pellet bag says feed along with high quality forage. Well, I don't use alfalfa hay, I live in Texas. I am assuming I will have to continue with the alfalfa pellets that I use now. The lable says no additional feed is needed just the lactation pellets and "good quality forage".

This is the basic breakdown:
    protein 18%
    fat 3%
    fiber 11%
    acid detergent fiber 16%
    CALCIUM 0.70%

I don't think that's enough calcium so it seems they must mean to feed alfalfa hay....what do yall think? I will continue with the alfalfa pellets even though this is supposed to be a complete ration, however it would cut my expenses TREMEDOUSLY is I could just feed the lactation pellets. Any input would be great. (The feed also contains salt, phospherous, copper, selenium,etc) Thanks........Diane

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I forgot to add a couple of things. I was wondering if I could feed the Lactation Pellets to my bucks and wethers if it was cut with something like corn chops. Also is it okay for the little kids to eat it along with their moms instead of me buying another type of feed for them. Or is there something I can mix with it for the kids. Another thing: The Calcium content I gave in the above post was the minimum amount of 0.70%, with the max being 1.10%......Like I said before, it sounds so low. I have continued to feed alfalfa pellets with it today because of that (and I am changing from their previous feed mix slowly, not a drastic change)...Diane

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Goats thrive on consistancy. With good milk production on what you are doing, why would you want to change, use 200 pounds of grain and then change again? It isn't good for the goats. Several of the folks in my club use this product. The thing is, they add this and that (Boss for fat, Beet pulp etc etc etc), why would you need to add stuff it the product is good to begin with. No grain can be fed without the addition of calicum in the form of alfalfa or alfalfa pellets in Texas. Because of our copper defficiencies goats do not assimilate calcium carbonate and calicum sulfate in enough quantity to not have problems with hypocalcemia and milk fever or other metobloic problems in really good milkers....this happens every year to the very same folks who use this pellet and feed it along with grass type hays. Compared to my farm their losses and vet bills/problems are alarming. But everyone does things differently.

Also when you say her goats failed this spring, was it nutritionally caused? If so you really want to mimic her feeding program by feeding this? And 18% is way to high of protein for even a growing buck.

Sounds in your second email like you have already switched. I wouldn't feed it to my bucks. I would also when you are down to the last several bags, slowly start feeding it with whatever you are going to switch back to. Vicki