processing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by theresaNZ, Mar 8, 2005.

1. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

I feel like I have struck gold finding this site. Now maybe someone can help me, I am thinking that Ronnie from Kiwi may be my best shot. Also enjoyed seeing Andrea talking about chooks!!! made me homesick!!!
    My problem is this......lasy year I sent my my two pigs away to be killed and when they came back I couldn't believe the difference in cuts compared to NZ. Hardly anything for bacon and just the hams, probably my fault but I ended up with a freezer full of chops and not one roast amongst the two animals. Ronnie could you please tell me or anyone else who may know the difference between butchering in the US and NZ what I should have asked for to get the standard butchering in NZ or was I just really lucky with the NZ butcher/abbatoir? There only appears to be one sort of bacon here, no middle or shoulder do you know what I mean maybe I need to ask my question of you a bit better. What would be handy is maybe a picture of a pig with what the different parts are traditionally done with in NZ. For instance nothing came back with loin written on it and there were these mysterious things called Butt Steaks.
    I look forward to any and all help so that I can be more sepcific with the butcher this autumn
    cheers
    Theresa

2. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

I am replying to myself......so disappointed that nonone has replied yet help......

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Have you ever considered processing the hog yourself? That way you could have the cuts that you want. :) I can walk you through the process.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Theresa,
    Your a long way from home girl :)

Listen, I don't spend much time on the Net during the day as it clogs up the telephone line (I shouldn't be here now :( ) so I'll give you post some thought and get back to you tonight.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I would consider another processor. Sounds like they don't know what they are doing. Our processor gave us a detailed list of choices we could have. Such as: "for the hams, do you want them cured or uncured? Left whole, cut in half, made into steaks, or one half & the rest steaks", etc.... You may ask if they have choices, instead of just bringing them in.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

finding a good processor is hit and miss. I raise potbellies for meat, so they are small enough I can do the butchering myself

7. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I would definately find another butcher and explain what has happened. You should be able to specifiy what you want out of the carcass. Tell them how many roasts, chops, hams you want. One kind of bacon??? Bizarr, should be back bacon and side bacon at least and if you didn't get much, they obviously kept some. Pork butts are the butt roasts cut into steaks, cook them the same way as pork chops.

8. mink

mink Well-Known Member

i live in new york and here we get hams smoked and cut any way you want.porkchops .pork steak or pork loin. some pork roasts.bacon fixed anyway you want it. ribs cut to size for bbq. lots of sausage. i noticed you live somewheres in ny too

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi again Theresa,
    While I've been giving it some thought, others have come to the same conclusion I have - you either need to find another butcher or specify exactly what you want.

Although cuts, and the names of them, may vary from country to country, out of two pigs you should have got roasts, chops, ham and bacon - and a reasonable amount of all of it. Out of the flaps you should have got pork strips and/or pork pieces and the hocks brined for soup bones. The whole of one side could have gone into bacon and still left a heap of pork to play around with. Bacon can be made out of any part of the pig.

For the most part we kill and butcher or own pork into the traditional forequarter roasts, chops and leg roasts but now and again I'll send them to the butcher. Last year I had three done. One went into roasts and chops, the second into bacon, ham, ham steaks and pickled pork, the third into pork medallions, pork schnitzel, pork mince, pork pieces and there were a heap of pork strips. BUT I had to specify what I wanted.

As Mink may live fairly near you, have a yarn to her if possible and see what the pair of you come up with. If your still not happy, I'll try and hunt down a diagram of the different cuts - I know I have them somewhere but we've only been in this house 4 years so I still haven't finished unpacking :haha:

Cheers,
    Ronnie

10. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

Thankyou Alllllllllll so very much. I feel much more connected and confident that I can between now and the fall get a plan together to take to the butcher, Although Ronney when you finish unpacking the diagram might be a handy thing. So much wind and snow yesterday after a hint of spring, a goodly part of the day spent with a neighbours with prolapsing ewes......yick. It never fails to give me a chuckle the way my friends here have individual relationships with their sheep!!! individual names and everything.
    again thankyou one and all
    cheers

11. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

You know what my partner in mystery was really gung ho last fall and couldn't understand why I didn't want to home kill. Bad memories for me with doing it once with my brother (about 20 years ago) but maybe I will forego the butcher and let him have a go at it, I understand that the trip to the abbatoir is pretty stressing on the pigs so yeah a walk through would be a good thing, plus I always thought you had to have a killing and hanging shed. I have had such fun the last day or so reading about pig tractors etc etc have decided to train them to a wire this year so that they can clear some places where I want to plant gardens. Last year I just let them roam over about two acres and fed them a lot of pizza and milk and then finished them on apples.
    I LOVE pigs
    Cheers

12. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

Yep we are south of Albany near Kinderhook. Last year we used Greenville packing and then took hams and bacon to Rolfs pork store, the guys there were GREAT. Maybe I will get brave enough between now and then to home kill......
    have a good day, did you get all this snow and wind, rather dramatic here.
    Theresa

13. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

My god what are you feeding an army!!!! Schnitzel is never heard of here the closest I have seen in a supermarket is called bracciolie or something like that and is about twice the thickness of traditional schnitzel, (beef) that is the sort of thing I mean though, you know like what part of the pig gets turned to schnitzel? I hope you are enjoying the summer I hear it has been very hot. Before I figured out how to individusally reply I sent a general reply and I guess it is somewhere in here.
    T

14. mink

mink Well-Known Member

seems like when i went deer hunting i see the sign for kinderhook while i was going down route 22....but im not sure.....if it was i have an idea of where you are. being from new zealand did you enjoy the snow storm..haha
    mink

15. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

OHHHH Yeah Baby, snow snow snow wind wind wind, sooooo cool. I LOVE it. You really know your alive when your crossing a paddock in white out with a bale of hay and the only way to navigate is by hearing the sheep yelling from the invisible barn in the distance. I reminded myself of that scene in Forest Gump where the guy is on top of the fishing boat yelling to the sky and laughing his head off, the neighbour following behind me was using my laughing as her beacon. Fun fun fun,

16. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

You can keep your snow - I like my animals outside 12/12 :) And yes, Theresa summer was a long time comming but it was hot when it did and we were lucky enough to get just enough rain to keep the grass moving. My lambs are looking tremendous and the ewes are in excellent condition to go to the ram.

Got some fishing in too so have had some nice feeds of schnapper and flounder. I live just out of Kaitaia so am surrounded by beaches.

No, I don't feed an army, just a family of four adults and it's surprising how quickly one gets through the meat. I know what you mean about schnitzel - had a butcher in Taupo who cut one lot of it up into mini-steaks. Not impressed at all and now specify how thick I want it. Pork schnitzel comes off the top of the leg which will still give the rest of the leg as a roast or to be turned into a ham.

Cheers,
    Ronnie