Processing question for hunters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chriswicks, Nov 14, 2005.

1. chriswicks

chriswicks Member

I live in NY and this summer tryed my hand at raising poultry for meat. the experience wasn't bad until butchering time. I was working outside in July heat and had to process in 2 batches because we started to attract flies and other insects. New York allow up to $2000 in poultry to be processed and sold without special inspections and live chicken to be sold and the processing to be done as a "favor". I've thought about building a small processing facility to accomplish this.

This is where my question for hunters comes in. Would you want process your own deer in an equipt facility for a small fee?

Believe me this idea has not been thought through properly, I just was looking for some input on the demand for this service.

2. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

It's done quite a bit down here. Start slow, and build by word of mouth. A lot of guys may want you to skin their deer, and on to the sausage-making, then to the wrapping part, so be prepared...

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My opinion is there are two types of hunters when it comes to meat processing. Some like myself will process their animal with whatever equipment they can muster. Others will not want to skin or to process the venison. The latter are glad to pay you to do the entire process for them

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I have a rope, an Ulu, and a hatchet...

and a meat grinder...

and 14 cats to clean up the mess.

lol

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

From hanging to kitchen table is 35 minutes.
    From there, 2 hours to cut and wrap, then 30 minutes to grind the burger.
    Not enough time to save by using a set-up area away from home.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

6. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm putting a cooler in my outbuilding to do my own processing. I might give some thought to putting out word that I'll hang a carcass for a fee. Maybe someday I might consider processing for others, but to start just offer a cooler to chill and age their carcass. Hey, maybe apply to become a check in station hmmmmmmm.

7. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Local meat processor here gets so busy with deer this time of year, you need not even think of taking a cow in right now. I've been by there and seen deer stack like cordwood on his dock.

If you wanted to get in that, and put up with the govt regs you'd need to, I'd say you could develope a real side business.

8. chriswicks

chriswicks Member

Pops2, you hit what I'm thinking right on the head. Farminghandyman, I like your Idea of buying into the facility. That way anyone I let use the place has a stake in taking care of equipment.

The main problem I came up with about having people process their own meat at my facility was disposing of waste and maintaining steril conditions. Like I said my idea was not thought out and you guys have given me something to ponder. Thank you for the input everyone.

9. I would think a lot of people wouldn't clean up after theirselves. Especially if you use electric table saws. They have to be broken down for a good cleanup. Same with meat grinders. I wouldn't want to walk in a facility and find out I have to clean up after the last person before I could cut my own deer up.

However, just renting meat lockers might be a good ideal. At the beginning of deer season its so hot around here I just almost hate to kill a deer. I would gladly pay a fee to hang my deer in a cooler. It would make it more convenient to cut it up when I have the time. How many people have killed a deer just at dusk the night before they have to go back to work early the next morning. They find out they have a big problem on their hands....What do I do with it now!

10. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

That was my take on it. I don't think you could depend on others to keep a locker clean. I could imagine the lawsuit you'd face when some nabob cut their finger off trying to bone out a ham. Bring your carcass, I'll check it and hang it till you're ready for it. Distant future options: I'll skin it out for you, or process it for you. I will not let you use a knife, saw or grinder in my building.

11. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I might enjoy having access to a fully equipped facility but I wouldn't want to run one for others to use. Just asking for trouble due to all of the lawyers slithering around waiting to pull the jackpot lever on the legal system.

I'm sort of like KRH. I do my own if it is cold enough outside and if I have the time. I have to admit though taking 3 or 4 deer to our EXCELLENT meat locker and coming back later and picking up all of the meat nicely cut and wrapped is awfully convenient. Makes messing around with it in my garage seem less and less worth the effort especially when I consider clean up, buying paper and other supplies.

12. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i liked the idea at first. my greatest need as a hunter is for having meat ground and casings stuffed. consider making bologna out of other people's meat for a fee.

i do not like the idea anymore because of the legal concerns. i worked in large scale food production for 10 years. there is always someone waiting to take advantage of someone else's mistake via lawsuit. it would be very easy to be held liable for food bourne illness as a result of other people's poor practices. for that matter it would be very easy to poison someone yourself. not to mention the lawsuit if someone lost a finger in a meat grinder.

i would specialize in a niche market. the bologna idea or maybe become a "jerky master". another good service to hunters is to cure and slice thin a deer ham. it is like chipped beef, i love it. i would do things that result in a product that is less likely to harm someone. bologna, jerky and cured hams have lots of preservatives in them.

i personally have been hunting all my life and a good quality meat grinder is long over due. i have a kickin secret recipe for venison bologna but rely on others to stuff it, what a pain. ( a tip on the chipped venison...vacuum pack it and it lasts for a very,very long time in the freezer)

here is another random thought while i am on a roll...i know an older guy who makes souse (hope i spelled that right) out of deer meat. it is made from all the bones and left over butcher scrapes cooked off the bone. the marrow then becomes gelatin (i guess) and you have all the little pieces of meat in a venison gelatin...cake...thing. it is good with crackers.