Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know how to process barley threshed from the stalk, into pearl barley?
As an experiment, I soaked rolled barley, then cooked it up like oatmeal, and it was quite good as a cooked cereal. And paying $11. for 80# of rolled barley at the feed store is sure nice compared to $20. at the market for 50# of rolled oats as human oatmeal cereal.
So, anyone know how to "pearl" barley?

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Pearl(ed) barley has the bran ground or polished off, a bit more intensive process than just threshing the grain and removing the husk. Haven't come across an easy home method for pearling barley. Hulless barley is popular with folks who grow barley for their own (human) consumption because the hulls are very loose and it is easily threshed, much easier than "regular" barley. But the bran is still on the grains.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
I'd bought some whole barley straight from the farmer for .05 # last year. It's too hard for straight feeding to the horses without soaking it for softer chewing.
Here, Fiesta brand pearl barley runs about $10.95 for 25#, and use it in Fila food a lot. Was hopeing for a good way to save $ on the many hundreds of pounds of whole barley that I still have on hand.
They liked the rolled barley cooked up in their food the other day. But, I don't have a rolling devise, either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts