Problems with plants - HELP Please!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rainedaze, Jun 9, 2005.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

This is our first year having a large garden. We added goat/horse manure to the dirt. My neighbor tilled the garden 3-4 times with his tractor. We are located in North Central Wisconsin, zone 4. Those first plants seemed to have disappeared. Two weeks later along with purchasing new plants, putting a fence around the garden, and lining the only entrance with marigolds, I put new plants in. Half of the plants again have literally disappeared but there are no tracks in the garden. :no: Some of the plants are gone from the top but there is a plant in the dirt. Does anyone have any idea what this is? We are just learning but this is real frustrating. My husband is determined that we will have a garden this year so he ran me to the Mennonite stand again to purchase plants for the third time. I am real happy that they are real reasonably priced. They sure happy to see us coming this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sounds like it could be gophers. Dang things! Seems I have to run a constant trap line, but I'm trying Castor oil at the moment. They wanted a fortune for what looked like kitty litter impregnated with castor oil, so I made my own with a jug of kitty litter and a quart of castor oil.

It was probably a mistake on my part because the kitty litter must be made of clay, it turned to bird poop as soon as it got wet.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

it could be bunnies. they don't care if there are marigolds at the gate.

as you are finding out, gardening is a lot of trial, and error. you will learn a lot this year, and it will be better next year. and better the year after that. it's not something you can just start doing. it must be learned. will you be starting anything from seed?

i dont know a cure for rabbits in the garden. maybe someone that knows more than me will be along directly.

4. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

I'm not sure just how much this would help you or not, especially in a large garden, but I'll pass this tip I do along any ways.
    If you're not having the rains (like we are here~) try sprinkling some red pepper powder on the ground around the plants. I have found the red pepper at the dollar stores fairly cheap. I use this especially when I am planting bulbs as I have problems with moles digging'em and/or field rats and rabbits coming along and chewing things up. It really does help. Have to go redo after the rains though.

Hopefully others will share there tips...but it sounds like fencing is still the best bet for keeping "most" chewing pests at bay.

Lots of Luck to Ya!

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Get cats. Tie your dog at different places all around the garden and let him put his scent around.

6. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

After a rain, or after you have watered your plants with the sprinkler(so it will stick) I sprinkle blood meal on whatever the rabbits are eating. It works great and if it turns out NOT to be rabbits, the blood meal is a great fertilizer! I had trouble with rabbits eating my baby squash plants and I had to get the blood meal on 'em. Second planting is working. I have also heard that there are voles or something like that...that like to go right on top of the ground to burrough under straw(which my whole garden is mulched with) but the blood meal seems to have deterred them long enough that the plants are not tempting anymore.

7. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I agree with Mid TN Mama- get cats. We have one neuterd male cat (Pete) that does nothing but bunny hunt, (the two females are too prissy to hunt). He keeps them run off from the two or so areas that surround the house. We do find bunnies in my flower gardens - of course they're minus their heads....way to go Pete.... As much as we hate to see him get them, he keeps them away from the flowers and garden.

8. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

My 25'x40' garden is usually a "bunny buffet" but this year I put up bunny fence I got at Menards, 24"x50' for about $8 a section. The $25 has been a good investment. Being in prime deer country you may also have some of those critters snacking in your garden also & need 6'-8' fencing.