Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I am trying to render both beef fat and lard. I have cut it into small pieces and tried to melt it in the oven at 170 in an open pan and on the stove top on low heat. Both times the fat has cooked rather than melting. I have rendered before with good results, but I can't figure what I am doing wrong. Any ideas as I have lots in the freezer? Last time I rendered I put it in a large pot on an outside propane cooker and I know the fat was bubbling.

Thanks in advance.

Silvia

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have never done it in an oven before or on a stove top, thinking it would stink up the house. We have done it with propane outside or over a wood fire out side always seem to work well. Seems like its a all day affair.

Thank you,
Just1974

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Could it be mostly gristle?

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I cook down fat at least twice a week (have a free source of unlimited fat).... I slice it thin, into 1" strips, put it in either a cast iron dutch oven or an unused canner bottom, and turn the hell fire on full blast. Turn it every fifteen minutes or so.... less than two hours later, all the fat has cooked off, and the remains are removed and drained.

I've tried the slow cook in the oven.... takes forever.... and don't even bother anymore, since I tried the fast and furious method.

OF course, don't overload the pot.... don't want so much you can't turn the fat over, without risking a grease fire.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your kind responses. I will try the water method and Texican will try yours as well. I have a cast iron dutch oven in the kitchen so we will see what happens.

Silvia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts