Problem with Wringer Washer - Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TrudyPowell, May 11, 2006.

1. TrudyPowell

TrudyPowell Well-Known Member

My Mom (64 years old) recently purchased a nice used Maytag square-tub wringer washer, early 50's model, I think. She had one when we were small and always loved it.

I'll describe the problem she is having with it. The wringer doesn't have the pressure or tension it needs. It seems to be in a constate state of "release", even after turning the long oblong knob on top. Both rollers turn, but the clothes are left very "soggy". It may be that the wringer needs to be repaired/replaced, but I told her I would try to get input from you all.

Thanks!

Trudy Powell

2. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

My father used to service those things and I remember them from when I was small. I think what your problem may be that the bar or whatever there is that you are supposed to release to take the pressure off the rollers between wash days has been hit somehow. This may be the same thing as, or there may also be an "emergency release" that you hit if and when you get your hand caught in the wringer or if the clothes start to wrap around the wringers a hundred times. Usually there is some kind of latch or something that secures it back down again after it is released. Usually the top of the wringer section looks like it has popped up when this part is loosened. Maybe someone else who has one in front of them to look at can explain it better. But, I don't think it is broken. Good luck!

MaryNY

3. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

I think that MaryNY has the answer. There is a release mechanism on those wringers.

It may also be possible that over the past fifty years the spring that applies downward pressure to the top roller has weakened. I do not know of this happening, but would regard it as possible.

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

i have a 1940-41 plain square tub maytag gyrotater wringer washer..

if its the same kind, lift the wringer off, there is a spring on each side inderneath that keeps the bottom roller pressed against the top... the top is regidly locked in place unless you leave it open to run something thick thru like a blanket or horse blanket .

good chance these springs and washers need to be replaced

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless the rollers them selves are so worn there is a gap between then where YEARS of clothes have been wrung through. Sometime you just have to replace the rollers themselves. If there is a visible gap when the rollers are not in use no amount of tightening will correct the wear problem.

6. Phil's Maytag

Phil's Maytag New Member

It could be that you need oversize bearing hanger hangers that hold the upper roll,or new rolls.