Problem with outdoor water sillcock

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by No Regrets Farm, Oct 19, 2004.

1. No Regrets Farm

No Regrets Farm Well-Known Member

My older outdoor frost free water faucet is leaking horribly. I seem to recall that in one of the issues of Countryside magazine, there was info on how to repair it. Does anyone recall which issue that is? I have so many issues and so little time to go back through them all.

I have searched online for quite some time trying to find info on how to repair it also, but havent had any luck. Does anyone have any good advice for this?

Thanks,
    Cindy

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When mine do this I loosen the bolt that holds the drop down rod where it attaches to the handle and push the rod down until it stops the flow of water. Then I re-tighten the bolt and it's fixed. The packing in the top may be dry and binding the rod but I forget what you use to remoisten and lube it with.

3. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

My hardware store sells a replacement repair kit. Any place that sells the frost free spigot should sell the kit.

4. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

and, if they only sell new units and not repair kits, the new units usually include an owner's repair flyer that the store might let you photocopy -

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Check what Ross sait it's a lot easier to tighten a bolt than use a shovel. When adjusting the rod listen to make sure you are not letting water under pressure leak out at the pump foot. Put your ear on the pump if you hear water back up your adjustment a bit.

mikell