Problem with my boar

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by HogEmAll, Oct 17, 2005.

1. HogEmAll

HogEmAll Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I raise feral hogs. My grey boar, named Bacon, has been with us since he was just a few days old. I bottle fed him and spent a lot of one-on-one time with him, so he's turned out quite tame.

But he's about 10-11 months old now, weighs about 130 lbs, and is definately sexually mature. The past 4 weeks have been pretty bad. He no longer comes to me for attention. Now, it seems, he is agitated with my presence. He was fighting a lot with my russian boar, so I seperated them. He is now by himself but it hasn't calmed him down at all. He's constantly foaming at the mouth, popping his jaws and scraping at the ground with his front feet(hooves, toes?). I guess you could say he's become a horny, ill-tempered little rascal, and I'm not sure what to do with him. He has bred with one of my gilts...she is due any day now. If she produces a good litter, I'd like to keep him for breeding. But he's such a bully that I'm worried he'll injure the other hogs. There have been several occasions where I was tempted to get my gun. But I'm a little attached to him. I guess I miss the younger, more docile version.

If I end up having to shoot him, I'd like to be able to butcher him. Now, I've hunted wild hogs for many years, and have never hesitated harvesting and consuming a mature boar. But Bacon has such a strong boar-scent to him, that it makes me gag, and I'm not sure his meat will be as appealing as I'm use to. At his current size(about 130 lbs), is it ok to castrate him? If so, are there any tricks of the trade, so to speak, to handle such a large boar? I've castrated many small pigs, from a few days old to about 2 months...never a big one like this. His testicles are HUGE! If I can castrate him safely without too much trouble, I may do that and see what happens. If not, I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice is greatly appritiated!

Axel

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

First mistake, NEVER NEVER make a "pet" out of a male you intend to keep for breeding. They will have no fear and become twice as mean as they mature. He will get worse not better. Our males, be it goats, cattle, hogs whatever. We don't tame, we don't mess with them unless it is to vaccinate, doctor or some other necessity. The will still maintain an element of fear with you. You are safer that way.
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs
    www.geocities.com/buckshotboers2003

3. HogEmAll

No, I wasn't trying to make a pet out of him. Never crossed my mind. But he was so pleasant to work around untill recently. I could enter the enclosure and do whatever I needed to...be it cleaning or repairs. Now, I constantly keep an eye on him because his body language tells me that he may try to charge. Do you have any advise for me when it comes to dealing with him inside his enclosure? Something I can do to establish dominance again? I once heard from an old farmer that I should urinate in the boar's enclosure, especially on the food. Dominant boars will do this(I've witnessed it) as part of their routine. I haven't tried this yet. Maybe I will.

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

that I don't know....I know we can use other boar urine to put on a dummy to get the boar dummy trained to collect semen.
    Good Luck

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Do you have kids around? I would not trust him for a minute, and I would get rid of him no matter how good his pigs are. No pigs are worth some one's life...I have known more than one hog farmer end up in the hospital almost dead from a boar. You can get another one.

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Mmm, I have a Duroc cross boar that I ended up hand rearing from 3 days old. He's a nice fellow and I treat him with respect - he also knows what a stick is all about, my tone of voice and commands. As a youngster this chap used to sleep with my dog, ride on the Mule and help peg out the washing - which meant he chewed up all the pegs! So yes, I suppose you could say that he was reared as a pet but it hasn't made him any worse to handle than my other boars.

But that is aside from the point. Hog, how close to your sows is this boar penned? I have learnt over the years that boars kept in close proximaty to the sows but not with them, can become quite obnoxious in the way that you describe. Remove them and they calm down and I've had a good example of this recently. My boar paddock is next to the sows and both boars were the pits to deal with. Then they had a stouch that left both with injuries and I brought them back to holding paddocks next to the cattle yards so that I could deal with their wounds more easily on a day-to-day basis. This is virtually on the other side of the farm and there are flats, a river, a hill, the house, and more flats between them and the sows so they don't even get a whiff of sow. The result has been that there are two boars that have calmed down, can be handled, injected, scratched etc. and no hint of aggression. This has finally cemented the fact that I am going to rethink the set-up of my pig area so that the boars are kept as far away as possible from the sows when not in use. Worth a thought?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

His tusks is what he would use to harm you or other hogs. To keep a boar after he has a little age on him is dangerous unless you detusk him. This isn't difficult if you have a small crate made with a stanchion in the end to clamp them in by the neck. They use bolt cutters to cut the tusks as short as possible. He may still be obnoxious, but not so dangerous.

8. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

It is possible to castrate him. I have spoken with someone who has done larger boars. It is not a recommended thing to be doing. Dangerous. I have done three that were at about 100 lbs and it took two of us to hold them and one to do the deed. Might just want to separate him far off from other pigs and females (any species) for a month to let the taint get out of the meat and then eat him. May be a sausage candidate.

9. highlands

Funny. I keep our boar out on pasture with our sows all the time and he is a real gentleman. Same for the other boar we raised and the two we borrowed. All are Yorkshire and all were gentle. Being near females does not makes a boar nasty.

10. bmycah

bmycah Member

We have had several boars and sows together and they alway fought and seemed to get unfriendly, but I just wanted to point out that other hogs from the area that you live will to come around and mess things up even if you separate them. places that seemingly have not hogs probably have at least a couple. i am not sure if you could effectively separate them it is in their nature to roam and dominate something.

let me know what you have done i am curious.

bmycah

11. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Highlands, did you read my post properly? As I understand it from your post, you run your boar(s) with your sows? I don't. They are pastured in their own paddock next to the sows and don't have access to them. This mean that if a sow is on heat, he's getting all the messages but an electric fence stops him from taking it any further. Consequently he becomes an obnoxious and frustrated male of the species unless he is removed far enough away that he can't detect any scent.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

12. HogEmAll

I've tried keeping this grey boar with my gilts, but he's such a bully that I'm worried that he'll injure them. That's the whole reason I seperated him in the first place. He's just an awnry little :bash:

13. highlands

Sounds like sausage meat. Seriously. We have a firm policy that animals who are mean get eaten. There is a genetic component so that way we breed toward nice animals. It also saves us from injury - mean animals can make your life, or lack there of, real unpleasant. Might be time to slaughter him. Can you replace him with a nicer boar?

14. Hog_Em_All

Hog_Em_All New Member

I doubt it. The supply of wild hogs is kinda thin around here. I mean there are plenty of them in the woods, but I'm not equipped to catch any of them legally...or illegally for that matter. I like this boar because he is grey. That's pretty rare for a feral breed. Most are black, brown, or a mixture of the two. He bred with one of my gilts, a black/brown one. She farrowed today and produced a litter of 5. 2 of them are grey like their sire, the other three are very light brown. I'll post a new thread about that in just a minute.

Back on topic, if he gets out of hand, he'll become sausage for sure. I just would rather keep him....so we'll see how things go from here.

Axel

15. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

A good shot upside his head with a baseball bat or like object will deter him for quite some time from beeing ornary with you while you are in his pen, if he is showing the slightest bit of aggression i would not go into his area with protection of some kind.
    i would seriously reconsider your thoughts on keeping him for breeding, selective breeding with a hog that is aggressive will only produce offspring of aggessive natures as well, is that how you want your farm to turn out in the long run?
    JMO of course
    good luck with what ever you choose,
    Rick

16. HogEmAll

Very good point