Problem with Landowner!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mtn_gin, Nov 27, 2006.

1. mtn_gin

mtn_gin Active Member

I have read several replies to the topic of trespassers and dogs and such. But this weekend I faced it for the first time. My family deer hunts every year and we have for generations. We also hunt with dogs. At this time we have 3 dogs. We hunt national forest land and the moutain area north of our place. But every so often the dogs get passed us running a deer and head south to the river. Well Sat. morning they did just that and as hard as we tried we could not get ahead of them until they got to the highway. My kids and I parked on the side of the highway and grabbed dogs as soon as they came out onto the side. This woman came stomping down the road. Her first question was about why we were on the land on the other side of the highway which is not even hers it belongs to the pastor of the church we go to. I tried being nice and explain what happened and that we had not even been on her land and WE HAD NOT!!! Our dogs ran across the corner of her place they could not have been on her place more than a couple minutes because they were running a deer and we could hear them. Well she threatened federal marshalls, shooting the dogs, on and on. My question is
    why is anyone so hostile just because some animals came across land did not stop did not bother anything. I own land and there is no way that i would be that way. Now if our dogs were just prowling and bothering things then yes you have the right to do what you need to do.

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

You may be only the tip of a very large iceburg. Perhaps people have been hunting on her land and disturbing her life. You were the one that she was able to catch.

3. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

I may have a reason why... Maybe not all the hunters that she has encountered have been as honest as you were. I can't tell you how many times I have been told "we're just pickin' up our dogs darlin.' Yeah.... right... AFTER they had purposely let them out down at the bottem of our property to run everything up to the road where they had parked their trucks (also on out property). I have also encounterd hunters (on posted land mind you) while hanging up clothes in my backyard.... I have been told that "my family has hunted this land for years." Like our owning it didn't matter at all. I had children and goats, sheep etc.... that I was concerned about. We willingly gave permission to hunt the back acreage to those that ASKED before the season started. After what we have been through, my reaction would have been the same as the woman's....

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

And, perhaps ,like some of us, we don't like our wildlife ran by dogs (beside the fact its illegal here) we enjoy the wildlife on our farms.

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

First of all you didint have a problem with the land owner. She had aproblem with your dogs. The sooner you realise this episode was completely your fault the sooner you can begin to solve the possibility of future problems.Quite a few land owners are extremely defensiveof the land they have worked very hard to pay for, and keep the taxes paid on. Its that simple. You dont have to understand it. You just have to respect it.

If you cant keep your dogs 100% under control 100% of the time without exception, or excuses you are going to continue to have an occasional problem like this.

There is no point asking why she got so mad. Thereis no point teling how short of a time the dogs were on her land. There is only the fact that yoiu lost control of them and they went on someones land who didnt want them there.

Its nice that you were polite with her. Just be carefull with your dogs in the future, and continue being polite with the people who own the land you are using, or buy your own land and stay on it

6. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

You said the dogs weren't on her property, then in the next sentence you said they ran across the corner of her property. Which is it?
    Sorry, dogs running deer can be legally shot in my state. I keep my dogs under my physical control at all times, not just under my voice control.
    How'd you like a pack of dogs running your animals on your property?
    No sympathy here.

7. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

your dogs on private property without permission .... case closed

8. CowboyBunny

CowboyBunny Well-Known Member

I can see both sides and really this isn't an issue of hunting on someones land, it is a matter of the hunting dogs running across a portion of it. Sometimes it just can't be helped. DH runs rabbits with beagles and it tends to be family outing time when takes them out, most of the time we don't even shoot the rabbit we are just running the dogs. Have you ever asked a beagle to stay on the 20 acres they are given to hunt. They won't hear of it and neither will the cottontails they are chasing. It never fails that they will take a rabbit right across the road to the pines that are directly across from us. DH has asked for permission to go in to get his dogs when they head into the pines (not hunt mind you, just go in and get his dogs) but the lady who owns the property says no. He has to stand at the side of the road and call them out. We respect her no hunting wishes but it's darn hard to control the rabbits that love to hole up in her pines. The problem with hunting with dogs around here is the lack of land with rabbits on it...everything is split into small parcels, 10 acres here another 5 there. If you hunt in our county you can't help but end up with dogs on property they don't belong on, you can't use a shock collar on a dog everytime she takes a rabbit somewhere she isn't supposed to or she'll never want to run a rabbit again. As a hunter it is very frustrating.
    On the other hand we have a chunk of isolated property that only gets used by us in the autumn for wood cutting and deer hunting. It never fails when we get there in the fall we find a tree stand or a hunting blind. People think that because no one is around it is fair game for hunting (and trespassing). As a landowner that is very frustrating.
    All you can do about the dogs is be quick about getting them off others property, be respectful, honest and apologetic.

Tami - Heritage Corner Poultry

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

it can always be helped. buy your own land and stay on it

10. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Why would anyone be so hostile?

If I saw dogs on my property and they weren't MY dogs..I'd not have warm fuzzy feelings for them or the folks who allowed them to run onto my land.

11. nana-san

nana-san Well-Known Member

How about just not running dogs? That would be the simplest solution next to asking permission. Private property is private property.

12. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think you are going to find any sympathy here. She had every right to shoot your dogs and it would be your fault that the innocent animal had to pay the price of your arrogance.

13. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I see by the posts that most of the people here are new and also I had a HUGE debate about this very topic a while ago. Needless to say, alot of people don't hunt anything with dogs on this forum so they do not understand or have any sympathies with you. My recommendation is to have a dialogue with the lady and give her a gift basket and explain that it was your first time that the dogs had been on her land and that you would like to offer her any meat if you do get some and see what she says. Try explaining that your dogs are hunting only certain animals and are broke off livestock (MAIN key!). Good luck is all I can say because you'll not get much support here. Hunting with dogs is dying out because of stupid hunters who don't follow the law OR most likely thanks to city people who MOVE to the country and expect your dogs to automatically stop at her property line...that is not going to happen if you have hounds.

14. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Max for President!!!

15. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We have been in the situation of other people's dogs on our land on our previous farm. It was usually someone's coon hounds that had gotten far away from the owners, and ended up on our land, bay at coons or something all night and keeping us awake. The owners would finally show up late the next day--they couldn't come in the morning because they had to go to work, as if I didn't--and never were apologetic or even pleasant. I have very unpleasant memories of people hunting with dogs, and little sympathy, I am sorry to say, for Mtn_gin's situation, even though I understand how dogs can get loose (I spent an hour tracking down my basset hound last night, and luckily he was at the neighbor's who think she is a sweetheart).

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, what everyone else said!

First hunting season we lived here I saw someone parked on our side of the road. Hopped in my truck and went to investigate. Guy in hunting gear is sitting on the tailgate of his truck with a gun across his lap staring out into our POSTED field. I stopped and asked if he was blind! I mean, obviously he couldn't see all the signs I had put up! He tells me he was waiting for his dogs...that he'd let them out on the other side of the creek and they got away from him. I asked him what he was going to do, shoot them when they came into the field??? He left without the dogs when I started dialing my cellphone. Hmmm...I never did see those dogs. Guess they were sneaky invisible dogs.

There are so many bad hunters who have no respect for property OR property owners that good hunters just can't get a break. Believe me, if I'd been the lady you encountered I'd have acted just like her. Not only do we have people trying to hunt on our land, we have people throwing their garbage over the bridge into our creek, kids shooting (and breaking) bottles in our field, and I've even had a guy shoveling up the gravel out of our driveway! Oh, and I shouldn't forget the teenagers who parked in our tree farm and were smoking who knows what. I hate to imagine what would have happened if they'd tossed a butt out and caught 33 acres of trees on fire!

Yup, I react the same way the lady you encountered did every time I see a vehicle parked on our side of the road. I have good reason to!

17. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not new to farm country neither was my grandpa, but he hated dog runners with a passion. Most of the time it was coon hunters who are sneaky and will burn you out at night if you complain about them hunting your land. It has nothing to do with newbie city slickers who just moved to the country. Lately we've had problems with trespassing hunters whom my brother has threatened to shoot. Not to mention this happens where my brother and mother go to hunt deer. Can you imagine how sick to his stomach he got when my brother found a dead deer on family property with just the head missing??? The woman had every right to be upset. You were most likely just the one who got caught and she vented her frustration on you. IMO, your dogs should be under your control (which your were not) at all times. In Ohio that's the law, even when hunting with them.

18. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I have never been so glad to see a hunting season end as this one. I was ready to start shooting back at the hunters who were legally too close to be shooting near my house. Add some of them hunting from the paved road to being too close to my house and my feelings of resentment toward irresponsible hunters went over the edge. And so did I. I yelled at a 13 year old who shot onto my property, from the road, too close to my house. Her father said, "bad judgement."

I assume you mean the human part of your hunting group was not on her land. So, you weren't but your dogs were. That's not better. You completely lost control of the dogs you were supposed to be responsible for. I've heard so many of these non-excuses this year that next year I'm posting my land. I just don't want to deal with with it anymore. If your dogs had been running deer on my land they could have easily mistaken my goats for deer. That could have lead to my dead goats and your dead dogs.

All three of us are hunters but thank God this year is over. A few people out of control or otherwise acting irresponsibly made this season very stressful.

19. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Dogs running deer, coon, rabbits is NOT hunting! The wild animal is run till it gets cornered or drops from exhaustion and the meat is worthless for eating at that point. You "running your dogs" "HUNTERS" are obviously not good enough to scout on your own, stand, and get your game without the unfair advantage of using dogs to run it down for you? Stay off my land with your dogs!

20. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

No, you did not face trespassers and dogs, you WERE trespassers and dogs.