Problem with cheese

Discussion in 'Goats' started by silosounds, Aug 4, 2005.

1. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

Weve been trying our hands at cheese this year and really enjoy it . Weve made cottage cheese, ricotta , mozzarella ,cream cheese. and have had pretty good luck at . but we have a problem with mozzarella , every once in a while we get a batch that is really bad tasting and has a smell like baby barf. We use a recipe from home cheese making by Ricki Carroll a great book , we use the 30 minute recipe. We fallow the recipe to the tee but sometimes the cheese is gross. we drink the milk and it tastes great so I dont think its the milk. We use Marschall rennet tablets and citric acid (anhydrous). we also use stainless steel pans and spoons and floating glass thermometer. does anyone have ideas ?????

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Just grasping at a thread here, but I read once that when making cheese, certain cheeses will be affected by the weather, high humidity, etc.

I also read that you should not make cheese at the same time you are making bread or other yeast products. Something about the Yeast being a fungi, which, when airborne, co-mingles with the milk product and inhibits the ‘friendly’ bacteria which produces the taste, texture and unique characteristics of the cheese.

3. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

I've found that no matter how clean and sanitary my process, I have more problems with cheese in the hot summer months. I usually abstain from most cheesemaking June through August. I can milk during these months for winter use.

4. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been making the 30 minute mozzarella using the microwave method. I have made the cheese with the milk I just strained. It is just the right temp. for adding the citric acid and rennet. I have found that I need to use at least two gallons of milk at a time, when using the microwave, for the cheese to turn out right. I have made hard cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and a recipe called simple cheese, (I will post this in the recipes section). I haven't tried most of my hard cheese yet because it is aging. I have had a few cheese failures, but the chickens enjoy them.
    I read on a website that sometime one needs to pasturize the milk first if you are having problems with cheese. Are you using starters for your hard cheese? You might want to pour boiling water over your milking and cheese making equipment to get rid of any organisms that are not wanted. You might try making cheese in a different room, if that is possible. Sometimes mold, etc. has accidently been introduced into an area and can affect cheese making.

5. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice Ill try these suggestions.Ill be looking forward to the recipes posted and comparing them to the ones we have. We really only have a problem so far with the mozzarella and we use the hot whey 30 minute recipe were you dip the balls of mozzarella in 180 degree whey and work it till its like taffy. then let it cool. it usually turns out awsome but every once in a while yuk... I Liked the advice of dumping hot water on equipment that might be the ticket as we have well water and only the drinking water is treated so we wash in just filtered water out of the well.