Problem with a scratch!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by John Hill, Oct 20, 2004.

1. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I have an old motorcycle (1952 Douglas 80+) which has been dismantled. We are at the stage of assembling the engine but there is a rather deep scratch on the crank shaft right where the oil seal bears on it (caused I assume when the bearing was pulled off).

How can I repair this scratch which is deep enough to cause oil leakage? Can I fill it with something, bronze for example? We have fairly good machine shop equipment but no metal spraying or anything like that.

Thanks

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The most correct mend would be to weld the area to a larger size and then have it machined back to original size. This is a professional approach.

Filling with brass or liquid metal compound still would require a machine shop returning it to original size.

Another option would be turn it down to the next smaller standard seal size. Not the recommended thing to do if you want long engine life and/or you can restrain yourself from twisting the wick a bit too hard too often.

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Thanks, I am not shure what we will do yet but it is just about the last challenge to get this bike back on the road which has been in pieces since 1965.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

5. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Very interesting Agmantoo, I have seen those sleeves but was told I would have to buy an expensive applicator tool, no mention of a tool on that site though. Thanks.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Sleeving is common on harmonic balancers and some axle shafts. If you have a lathe and make a sleeve you could make an installer to press it on with. There is a product made by Loctite for locking sleeves like this in place. I believe it is loctite green.

7. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Thanks Beeman, I think that is what we will do. Obviously I am not the skilled machinist on this little project!

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

f you look at the store bought sleeves they have a lip on them that allows ease of installation but doesn't interfere with the seal. Go to most any auto parts store and ask to see a harmonic balancer sleeve kit for a 350 Chevy engine. If you see one you will understand better than I can describe.

9. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Thanks Beeman, I have seen the sleeves but my collegue in this project said they were expensive, still, thanks for the advice.