Problem solved on what to plant...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have decided to plant hardwoods on those few acres between the road and diversion ditch which have poor soil and drainage. We're also going to plant the 36 acre field along the creek in hardwoods. Yep, we signed up for a government program to plant hardwoods to stop erosion in a "wetlands" (it's a flood plain, but doesn't stand in water unless we have a huge, major flood).

Come January we'll be planting 40 acres of trees!!!

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What kind of hardwoods? With the government program, who supplies the trees? Can you harvest them?

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know all the details yet. They'll be sending us more info as we're to plant in January. Let me see if I can find the link...http://www.fsa.usda.gov/pas/FullStory.asp?StoryID=1479

If I remember correctly, they pay 90 percent of the cost of purchasing and planting the trees (that's 50 percent of the cost plus a flat per acre one-time fee paid) and then so much per acre for 15 years. After the 15 years you can harvest. Hubby was discussing with the guy the benefits of pine versus hardwood as we had a choice. While pine can be harvested quicker, we went with hardwood. We don't want to end up with a field of stumps. We want to do what is best environmentally for our property. Plus, hubby said he might eventually make some money cutting firewood off the acreage.

I do know the acreage had to have been planted in crops for four years straight in the past 6-8 years (I believe). Prior to our purchasing this property it had been planted continuously in cotton (so the soil is worn out!).

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

Trees are like straws. Suck that water up.

Yvonne