Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
full time daydreamer
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 dogs. One is good, the other is near evil. I have thoughts of disposing of the problem dog. Problem is, no gun, would have to find some other means.. and am I a horrible person?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
NO
one of the reasons we have overpopulation problems & attack problems(mostly media hype BTW) is because people have gone soft about putting down animals that aren't fit for polite society.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
WHAT!!!

I'd say more info is needed before I can say whether you are a horrible person or not......

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Think it depends... if dog is just a naughty dog, there's hope, but one that is people aggressive is another story... unless it's a people problem, as in not giving him clear signs that you are the alpha and he is not. More info, please. :)

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
There are a couple of other possible actions besides killing the dog (tho you may feel like doing that!) Why don't you adopt him out either yourself or thru Humane/SPCA? Perhaps it's the chemistry of all involved? Right now tho I'm thinking that it's a good thing dogs don't type and use the internet...can you imagine the posts then?! LOL

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,574 Posts
Liese said:
There are a couple of other possible actions besides killing the dog (tho you may feel like doing that!) Why don't you adopt him out either yourself or thru Humane/SPCA? Perhaps it's the chemistry of all involved? Right now tho I'm thinking that it's a good thing dogs don't type and use the internet...can you imagine the posts then?! LOL
I wish they could, since sometimes my dog Blue is the only one who would ALWAYS say something good about me.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Sign the bad boy up for a dog obedience class. I worked with a guy that had a dog out of control. He beat the dog with a piece of rubber hose...he claimed that took the sass out of him.

RF

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Bearfootfarm said:
I wish they could, since sometimes my dog Blue is the only one who would ALWAYS say something good about me.

...if you must kill one of them, take out that little white puff-ball. They grow up and bark all night long! [just joking!] great picture y the way.

My suggestion for the original poster- [NO JOKING] -problem dog or not, proper disposal of unwanted dogs should be dealt with ASAP. I think you should turn the animal over to your local animal authorities. Better for you, better for your other GOOD dog, better for other living creatures in your area, even better for the BAD dog, (in the long run) Many times, they may be able to correct the problem, or put the animal down. Either way, you have several responsibilities in this matter. Better to deal with them now at this point, then let them get further "out-of-hand". I'm not going to judge you, not enough info. of that, just tell you to deal with your problems right away.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
What are the "evil" traits? Is he hiding weapons of mass destruction somewhere? If YOU took on this dog...YOU have an obligation to work with it. How did it become so horrible? I agree that you must explore every option first, including obedience training, medication, adopting out to someone who will spend time and work with the animal. Don't need to be judgmental but putting an animal down because it's not easy anymore is a shortcut that really gets me steamed.

·
full time daydreamer
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
she growls a lot , fights with the other dog, and nips at the kids and I can't seem to break her of it. I'm taking her to the pound today!

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Is the dog a heeler? They tend to growl a lot, fight with other dogs and have a inbred trait to nip....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sounds to me like a young dog who doesn't get enough excercise, or oppurtunity to work. If you're not on a farm give her to me. She'll fit right in around here.

I wish the dog could type. Something tells me there's a whole other side to the story.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Hey little bird,

Want a border collie?
OUr collie is a great dog, but needs work. We adopted him as a stray, he's very obedient and willing to please but does not have his "sheep" training yet.
We can't keep him anymore because he keeps biting and nipping at our 4 year old. It's a grumpy type of bite, not a mean aggressive rip and tear. Never the less we can't break him of it and have tried! We exercise him heavily twice a day, but this guy considers a 3 mile ride alongside a bike a warm up! I need to find a farm home for him soon. We are sad that we couldn't help him over this because we really do care for him, but I need to keep my little guy (child) safe.
Sorry to interrupt the thread with my own request!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Long ago I raised English Springer Spaniels. A sweeter, more loving breed was not known to me at the time, or a more mellow, patient dog. Puppy buyers were told to please return the dog to us if they could not keep it. One day a lady called who pleaded with me to come get the 8 month old puppy now, as her husband planned to shoot it when he got home from work. When I got there, I was appalled. The couch was ripped to shreds. The kitchen cabinet doors and chairs were knawed to knee level. The dog had nipped one of the two year twins. This dog had never had any training. It was either left in the house when the people went to work, or turned outside when they got home. It was wild. They got a second dog hoping to give dog number one someone to talk to during the day. But dog number two was little and cute and cuddly, and got all the attention. I took number one home with me, followed him around for a few days to explain that we do not jump on the table and grab food, eat the furniture, etc. We took walks on a leash. We socialized with people and dogs and the cat. We learned to sit and down. We advertised for a new owner, who wanted a hunting dog. The new owner called after 6 months, and wanted another dog just like number one, who was one terrific dog and also a good hunting dog. I hope Evil Dog finds a new owner who will provide a happy home. People need to do research before getting a dog. High energy dogs need work to do. Dogs bred for guard work tend to well, guard. All dogs need owners who have attended dog training classes with them.

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
I happen to think you're a good person. You've taken responsibility for this animal and you are taking care of the problem in a humane manner. I like my dogs, but I don't consider them any different from the other livestock I have. A problem dog is no different than a problem steer, it just doesn't taste as good.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Definitely find a new home for it. If you don't have the time to train the dog with a more difficult personality, please let it have the chance to find an owner who can. That is what a good person would do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If there is a risk of injury to children or livestock, get rid of the dog by whatever means you must. You'll feel guilty. Get over it. The pound here won't take them because they are always too full. I'd feel guilty giving it to someone else who might get hurt. I'd rather see someone take care of the problem themselves than dump the dogs they don't want on a country road where someone like me winds up with the problem.

I know that's not an option you're talking about, but it's one that lots of people take. Frustrating.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts