Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my best friend and i purchased a heifer that turned out to be a wild cow you don't want to turn your back on. her front quarters are so horribly large that the new calf wont even suck them. it took days to entice her into the corral. i considered myself lucky to come through the short and unsuccessful quarter stripping with only an scraped forearm. by gosh she has fast feet. she then crushed the ramp gate and the last view of her was of her behind as she headed for the thick woods with calf in tow.

i want to sell her. best friend does not. she thinks she can turn this cow around with time and attention. its been two years. we are at an impasse. it brings up memories of my old man not wanting to get rid of a mean **** he kept in a cage. it would get out and chase everybody. said that he was teaching us that the only thing we were to be scared of on the place was him (the old man).

what problem animals do you really need to get rid of and whats preventing you from doing so?

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
No real problem animals, just the occasional non-productive ones. The wether goat I won't be allowed to butcher after the doe has her kids. Useless but cute. I have a rabbit that produces kits with bad hair and eyes, about 1/4 of each litter. Need to get rid of her, but at her age she is inedible and I don't want to pass her on to someone who might continue her bad genes. Right now at least I know all of her offspring go into the freezer.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I get rid of them. The hardest ones to get rid of, though, are cats, because neither I not anyone else I know wants to eat them.

At furst I had a real problem getting rid of or butchering/killing animals that were problems or non-productive. Over time that has changed. When youy consider the cost of feed, and that you could be feeding an animal you really and truly enjoy or find useful as opposed to one that makes you unhappy every time you have to look at it or deal with it, the choice becomes a whole lot easier.

Can't you sell your half of the cow to your friend and then she can deal with it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chamoisee said:
Can't you sell your half of the cow to your friend and then she can deal with it?
wont do any good. we also bought the property together. it has worked very well for years because we divided the expenses and the work... guess ill have to wait until there is something she wants badly and negotiate a trade.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The only animal I have that I don't want is a buck that I hate. I have to keep him to breed the doe as he is the only buck I have.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Spinner
you need to get a buck from Christiaan
Christiaan
you need to try rabbit stew (great use for the big old breeding stock regardless of age)
Chamoisee
i need to pay you a visit & bring a wok :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
I don't keep them. It makes the whole farm upset and non peaceful and ruins the good ones. I had beautiful registered Alpines, hardy and never skinny, no matter what. They started fence jumping, and teaching the others to fence jump. Teaching the tame ones to run like the wind when I came for them. There was plenty of food on our side. The big Alpine buck would stand up and aim his horns at me out in the field. Only thing that would save me was to run at him and grab his horns, one in each hand. Scared me bad. Me and the dog were herding them back in at least twice a day, and fetching babies that were lost or stuck in the fences. Sold them, all of them. Bye Bye. Lost money but who cares, my farm went back being fun again.

I will not keep a mean animal, no exceptions. It is just not worth it. If she is not too old, you can take her to the butcher and split the meat. Yum.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
My geese. I have a pair of African geese that could not be louder or more obnoxious. They were a gift, and I guess you get what you pay for. We've actually had two people stop by over the years and offer to buy them. Why did I turn them down? *sigh* I don't know. I am so used to cursing them out and hating them that I think I'd miss it if they were gone. :shrug:

(DH won't let me eat them)

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
We have a dog - he is nice enough. If we let him out of his pen- he runs off and is gone for days. He is good to play with my son, but with the heat- that is hard to do. Basically, the dog runs when trouble comes - he doesn't even bark at strangers. He is my daughter's dog and she is now gone to college.

I think I need dog training lessons!

·
Unapologetically me
21,948 Posts
Definately goats, particularly our female Boer goats.
The fat things just stand on a fence until it collapses under their obnoxious fat cells.
They do a good job of weeding tho.

·
Premium Member
16,244 Posts
Psycho border collie.

He's paced through 3 homemade seat covers and the original seat of my truck. It's down to steel and foam. I can't ever get in the truck without kicking him out of the way. In the truck he paces, whines and jams his face against the glass. He snaps at me when I get in the truck but never bites. He has teeth marks in the window from snapping at passersby.

Other than that he's an okay dog. :)

G

·
I had some Cuckoo Maran roosters that were getting to be obnoxious and I had too many of them so I was planning on sending them to freezer camp. The dang fence charger went bad and a **** got in. Killed five of the seven roosters (and one hen truth be told) so I then only had two.

I really only wanted one for breeding purposes so I had been studying them both trying to decide which of the two was going to be joining me for dinner. I moved all of the roosters (there are others besides them) into their own quarters and in the process of moving the two Marans managed to lose both of them in the dark when they made it into the brush. Only one survived the night to return the next day and I'll be moving him in with the rest of the boys this coming weekend.

I swear I didn't do this on purpose, but this go around all of my problem animals seem to just off themselves.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
If you feed only in the corral for a while, the cow will get use to entering it... if you can cut off water sources and only water in the corral, it makes it a lot easier. If you only use the corral for 'working the cows' then it IS hard to get any cow in, much less a bad cow. I'd sell the cow, and any animal that's a potential danger. When she ends up hurting someone, you're gonna feel real bad, especially if it's You or a loved one.

I've got a handful of roosters that need to go... and if they keep crowing by my bedroom window, or like one psycho roo, flying up in the tree next to my upstairs window, and letting loose with it's 26Kmhz crow, I'll end up shooting it!

·
Administrator
21,170 Posts
I've had the odd cow that had undesirable temperament but as a purebred breeder, temperament is critical and so was my reputation so I always chose not to sell my problems to some unsuspecting buyer or risk someone else being hurt. I simply called the butcher and made an appointment to deal with the problem in such a way there is no chance of anyone ever being endangered by ill mannered livestock.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Our rooster attacks anything with 2 feet. He is the product of our favorite bantam hen and a very large barred rock rooster (the only survivor of our first chicks). The parents were killed by a panther so we keep Buckbeak II out of nostalgia. I call him Woo-Woo, which makes him even madder. I think the new red hen and I are the only ones who appreciate him.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.