PROBLEM! after birth but no baby?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Emily Anne, May 15, 2005.

1. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

I have a problem, or rather, my goat doeshttp://homesteadingtoday.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=17#
    No No, She is an 8-year-old nubian who was bred last december and stayed kinda skinny and so leading me to believe that she was not pregnant. However, today she had quite a bit mucas coming out and seem rather misrable, causing me to keep an eye on her. Tonight when I went out there, on the ground was what looked like after birth to me, but no baby. Every so often she will squat down and have what seems more like convultions than contractions. She does not like me touching her belly or tail and is not acting quite so percy. She is eating just fine though and is not maaing, moaning, or yelling. Does anyone have any advice as to what is going on? I have never had this happen before. And also she is not bagging up hardly at all.

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

She could have had an abnormal pregnancy like a cloud burst, or reabsorbed fetus. Keep an eye on her You are a better judge than you think of whether its time for a vet. You could put on a glove lube up and check her , Have someone hold her for you and see if she is dialated, and if you can feel a kid in there, just go slow.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Was she in a pen or running around in a pasture? Could she have had the kid somewhere and dropped the afterbirth somewhere else? Did you look all over everywhere to see if you could find a kid? I would do like Sherrie said and lube up and go in and feel inside her to see if there is a kid stuck.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

How is this doe doing? has anyone heard?