Probably silly question...need advice

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by waygr00vy, Jul 20, 2006.

1. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

Ok, so I have one Jersey (Ginger) and one Jersey/Holstein (Rosie) cross, both heifers. They are both 1 1/2 yrs old. I have had horses, goats, pigs, etc., but these are the first cows I have owned. Neither have been bred yet, however, Rosie seems to be getting a little more full in her udder. I noticed this recently and felt both of their udders, and the one definitely feels different and more full and firm. Now, Rosie is a bit of an escape artist and has hopped the fence in the middle of the night on a couple of occasions, but she would have had to hop into someone elses fence then back out again to be bred. Also, a couple months ago some neighbor bulls got out and were running along my fence line when my girls were in heat (while I wasn't home) but they didn't get in the pasture. Plus, that would be too soon for her to start baggin up I would think. Plus, she doesn't really have a big belly. How should the udders of a 1 1/2 yr old hiefer look and feel if they have never been bred? When would they start bagging up if bred? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is my first go around with cows and I am puzzled! They do not look red or infected or I would think maybe mastitis? Thanks for any input!!

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

It's hard to know without seeing it, BUT it could be just the udder beginning to grow as she matures.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Heifers kicking at flies in the summer will bag up some just from that.
    Given the proximity and repeated incidences of :cow: bulls getting near her,
    I'm thinking somebody did a little Teepee-Creepin' :eek: and your heifer is pregnant.