Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how this happened. I hope it doesn't happen to me, but it probably will. :p

From the Associated Press;

Dog frozen to sidewalk; fat helped it survive
Shelter workers uses warm water to free it; owner arrested
The Associated Press
updated 2:53 p.m. ET, Fri., Dec. 5, 2008
SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - A dog weighing more than 120 pounds survived being frozen to a sidewalk overnight, probably because he was insulated by layers of fat, authorities said.

The Sheboygan County Humane Society says the "morbidly obese" dog, an aging border collie mix named Jiffy, froze to the sidewalk when he was left out overnight Wednesday. Shelter manager Carey Payne says few dogs could survive the single-digit temperatures, and it was probably the fat that made the difference.

Jiffy's 59-year-old owner was arrested Thursday morning on suspicion of animal neglect, Sheboygan Police Lt. Tim Eirich said. She told police she tried to get the dog inside but couldn't, and instead checked on him every few hours.

The dog is 11 or 12 years old, Eirich said. Shelter workers poured warm water over Jiffy's back end to unstick him from the sidewalk, Payne said, and it was too soon to say whether he suffered any long-term effects.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
The dog is 11 or 12? And more than 120 pounds? Good chance the woman was telling the truth. The dog may well have had a seizure, been unable to walk, and she was unable to pick him up.

As far as "long term effects..." how long is long term on an elderly 12 year old dog for crying out loud?

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
I wanted to drive over to Sheboygan and smack that woman one!

First of all the poor dog is obese whic is terrible on it's body.

Then she leaves it outside.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Some people...well, I just don't know what to say.

Actually, I know exactly what to say, it's just not appropriate for a family forum.:flame:

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
whew! I can easily imagine this happening at my house. I'm 58, female, poor health myself, have a dog that age and weight that has problems walking because he's old like me. I pray everytime I let him go out to do his bathroom that he won't get down on me, and that's in the daylight. If he happens to get down at night, especially a really cold night, and if DH wasn't here to help me, the dog would have to do the best it could until I could call in the army it would take to move him. You can "poor puppy" this all you want, but I'm seeing it through the eyes of the 59 year old female that's probably distraught her dog went through this, and now she's got a criminal record. I don't know anyone that's going to respond to a call for help carrying a really large dog inside at 2 or 3 in the early zero cold morning, other than DH.

Apologies for the mini rant, but I just can't get used to people policing other people all the time. In light of this, maybe DH and I need to consider having our dog put down.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Your'e not the only one that wanted to drive over and smack her up side the head Ardie! She could've called the cops and they would have moved the dog into the house for her! It's down right COLD out there!
Poor dog :(

·
Mountaineers are free
945 Posts
Get real... Arrested!

Sure the dog is Obese, but I'll bet there are people reading this news story all over the country that are obese too, and they are complaining.

I want the state of West Virginia arrested, they left all the deer and bunnies outside last night and it was cold. Animals have every mechanism of nature to weather the cold. They are not people and if people would quit thinking of them as people, the bleeding heart would stop. I also agree with SoulSurvior who would have come out and helped this lady at 3 am on a cold night, I'm sure you're going to tell me all kinds of people, but I'll just respond with Hind sight is 20/20.

Oh and one more thing... Do you think the animal control people just happened by on a frigid morning... Probably not, a nosy neighbor more than likely called them and spent the morning peering out the cracked blinds, watching her neighbor get arrested. Could have saved time and trouble by calling or walking over and offering to help... But that would be too easy.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Maybe she did call the cops. We don't have that information. Guess the courts can decide based on the evidence they have.

I have friends on the local police force and depending who's on duty as to whether they would answer a call for this or not. Some would, but some wouldn't, especially if they're on a graveyard shift and short staffed, and it would take at least 2 strong men to carry this dog. I know one thing for sure, they'd take their sweet time coming out here to do that for me and this dog.

And don't say "call the Humane Society". They won't even come close to answering a call like that at that time of morning. They're mostly all volunteers and don't even answer calls to come get cats, unless it's for a publicity story or something.

I think the hard lesson to learn here is that I don't need to take responsibility for pets if I can't provide everything they might need in any situation. It makes me rethink exactly why we even have a dog.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
whew! I can easily imagine this happening at my house. I'm 58, female, poor health myself, have a dog that age and weight that has problems walking because he's old like me. I pray everytime I let him go out to do his bathroom that he won't get down on me, and that's in the daylight. If he happens to get down at night, especially a really cold night, and if DH wasn't here to help me, the dog would have to do the best it could until I could call in the army it would take to move him. You can "poor puppy" this all you want, but I'm seeing it through the eyes of the 59 year old female that's probably distraught her dog went through this, and now she's got a criminal record. I don't know anyone that's going to respond to a call for help carrying a really large dog inside at 2 or 3 in the early zero cold morning, other than DH.

Apologies for the mini rant, but I just can't get used to people policing other people all the time. In light of this, maybe DH and I need to consider having our dog put down.
I'm a 66-year-old woman confined to a electric scooter. Wanna guess why we don't have a dog? I'll tell you why.

Because I cannot guarentee that I could get a dog back into my house if my DH isn't here. It's that simple. It would kill me to see a dog outside in our weather obese and unable to get back into the house!

But then, I wouldn't allow my dog to be obese.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Old spayed/neutored dogs get fat, its not a reflection on how good a dog owner you are or how much you love your dog. Often its a symptom of someone spoiling their dog terribly, its not animal abuse and isn't that big of a deal JMHO. Yes the dog shouldn't have been pig fat but it did save the old boy so it was a plus. It also wasn't abuse to leave him out in the snow, perhaps she was unable to get him in, its wrong that she's getting charged, it is not illegal to keep your dog outside. I myself would have tried to roll him into a sleeping bag or cover him somehow until I could get help to get him up(assuming that he was down) But quite frankly if he's been a northern breed I most likely would let him lie, or perhaps he was an outside dog normally and it wasn't a big deal for him to lie out on the snow. My husky used to lie in the snow sunning herself for as long as the sun lasted, he was probably doing that but was on the sidewalk instead of the ground and got stuck. This is just one more incident that the AR groups will use to beat us into submission on the road to taking all our animals away and forcing everyone to become vegans.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I don't think the owner should have been arrested. I'm not a small lady, but 120lbs of dead weight would be more than I could have dealt with. My mom's female, Golden got really fat. Mom feed her weight control food and exercised her daily. The vet even put her on thyroid meds, but the dog was very fat. It's just not enough information for me to scream for tar and feathers just yet. I do hope the dog is okay though.

And I understand not getting a pet if you are unable to care for it, but this dog is 12 yrs old. Twelve years ago, she was able to care for it. Who knew then that the dog would live that long, get the fat and possible the owner may now have health issues that she didn't know she would have 12 yrs. ago. And after 12 yrs with your pet, would you give him away or put him down, because he isn't convenient anymore?

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
We'd probably be more inclined to sympathy for one woman with an unfortunate dog if this kind of thing didn't happen all the time, for real, with neglectful dog owners. This, and worse.

We used to live next door to a family who owned a little bitty cockapoo and routinely they left the poor thing outdoors in very cold weather. It kept getting out of the fence, so they tied it to the back porch and that little thing stayed there day and night. Once they left town for a week and didn't bother asking anyone to take care of it.

I've often thought that the only reason this dog survived was that we went over to knock on their door when we saw it out late in the cold (the guy always acted like we were making a big deal about nothing) - we figured he fell asleep and forgot about it (he was on meds and slept a lot). And we went over to give it food and water when they didn't. And I've often wondered what happened to the dog after we moved away.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

This is Wisconsin. It gets really cold here every winter. If you live in WI, you know that it gets too cold for house pets (elderly & fat or not) to stay outside all night without any protection in subfreezing weather. If you live in WI, you know leaving your pet frozen to the sidewalk is considered cruelty and will get you in big trouble.

If you live in WI, you also know how to deal with stuff freezing, yes, even body parts. The Shelter workers who unfroze Jiffy with warm water weren't rocket scientist's, they were just plain ol' Wisconsin folks used to dealing with the weather.

If you live in WI, you know that people are pretty darn nice and willing to help just about anyone. Every Winter police and fire department staff across WI end up rescuing dogs and horses that have broken through frozen ponds and lakes then can't get out because they are freezing. I've seen an entire volunteer fire department working to rescue a dog that had fallen through thin ice on a pond.

If the owner had called the non-emergency number of her police station or fire dept. and explained the situation, someone would have come as soon as they could to help her dog. If she had asked for help, her dog would have gotten rescued much sooner and she would not be getting charged with animal cruelty.

I don't understand your comment: "I just can't get used to people policing other people all the time", "People policing other people" goes by lots of different names: morals, rules, laws. Our culture decided a long time ago that if you own an animal you are responsible for properly taking care of it and our government backed up that idea with animal cruelty laws. If you own an animal and it gets hurt, you are expected to help it or ask for help.

deb
in

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Thank you DEB...you gotta LIVE IN WI to understand how cold it really gets here and what the people are like....
And I STILL would have smacked that dumb broad up side the head for leaving her dog out there totally unprotected! She got what she deserved.

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
A lot of judgements being made without very many facts to substantiate them.
Yes I to am an animal lover (typed as the overgrown mutt sticks his cold nose up my shirt sleeve and a cat we just rescued keeps trying to walk on my keyboard)

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
Wisconsin person here too! yes it was terribly wrong, yes it was cruel, yes the woman should not have pets if she cannot care for them. But, I wonder how sad it is that the woman felt she had no person she could call on for help. That seems to be a growing problem these days. I agree, the person who called the shelter could have stepped up to see if they could help. I would not want to be smacking anyone upside the head until I knew the full details but that is just me.

·
Dallas
13,903 Posts
No one should have a morbidly obese dog - thats criminal in my opinion.
All dog food brands come with serving size listings on it.
Oh whats that you say, it won't eat dog food? it will when its hungry enough.
When you have a pet, you have a responsibility to feed and shelter it properly and to exercise it appropriatly for its breed, age and weight. If you can't do that much, then you shouldn't have a dog or cat, you should have a goldfish.

As a former WI and MN resident, while dogs and cats can and do live outside all winter, they don't do it stuck to a sidewalk. Dogs will bury themselve in a snow bank because snow stays at 32 degree's, a WI sidewalk is open to the elements and can be at whatever the air temp is, depending on what part of WI that was anywhere from -5 to +20 degree's last night NOT including the windchill factor.

Edited to add. I see it was Sheboygen, right now at 9AM CST the temp there is 2 degree's above 0 (and the suns been up for 2 hours warming things up a bit)

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
Get real... Arrested!

Sure the dog is Obese, but I'll bet there are people reading this news story all over the country that are obese too, and they are complaining.

I want the state of West Virginia arrested, they left all the deer and bunnies outside last night and it was cold. Animals have every mechanism of nature to weather the cold. They are not people and if people would quit thinking of them as people, the bleeding heart would stop. I also agree with SoulSurvior who would have come out and helped this lady at 3 am on a cold night, I'm sure you're going to tell me all kinds of people, but I'll just respond with Hind sight is 20/20.

Oh and one more thing... Do you think the animal control people just happened by on a frigid morning... Probably not, a nosy neighbor more than likely called them and spent the morning peering out the cracked blinds, watching her neighbor get arrested. Could have saved time and trouble by calling or walking over and offering to help... But that would be too easy.
No where in the story does it say this happened at 3 am. It says: "left overnight". You can assume its 3 am, I can assume it was b/4 bedtime...she could have called for help if the temps were gonna be low enuf to freeze the dog to the sidewalk!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts