Proactive

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wolf mom, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Hey everyone -

Let's be proactive and write letters (en mass) to our congressmen/women demanding a moritorium on gas prices even a roll back! It's been done before. The profit the oil companies have made and are making can tide them over until things settle down.

We need to get to the heart of the problem. Stockpiling and driving less (yes, I'm doing it also) is NOT resolving the problem. Stockpiling can make things worse, but that's another chapter.

I understand Bush is going to release some oil reserves -but again, another stop gap measure.

If everyone wrote a letter and asked one other person to do the same, or posted the request on another site... Is it too much to think we can do it?

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Writing letters will not help, at all.

If you are still with me, then see what I wrote about the silly Sep 1 boycott:

I agree with you, we have to do something, and yes, let's be proactive -- go back to the land, and even get off grid -- if only grid power was MORE expensive: then I would get off grid, you would too.

Alex

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Let's be Reactive instead of Proactive!

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Alex:

I agree with all you've written regarding the amount of oil left and what we individually need to do. As you wrote, in 5 - 15 years things will get back to {a new} acceptable. Until then, there's a lot of people who are going to go under finiancially - but not the oil companies.

While we take care of ourselves and do what we can individually, I still believe we can work together to effect change. Moritoriums have been used before and can be used again.

Actually, the time it took to write this, a letter to a congressperson could have been written. What would it hurt? Some seeds fall on fallow ground, others grow. We just have to scatter enough seeds. :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oilpatch; Sorry I don't get it?

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

While I agree that we should write to our congress and senate, look at the trouble presidents have getting things thru there.We need to learn to take care of ourselves the best way we can, for sure. I write to my senators and congressmen about many things. We need to write them and call them all the time about anything that we feel is important. send them emails too! I've found also that when you email or write to them, be sure to ask them to respond back to you. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. It is our government. But we need to be proactive and participate in it.
    We need to be smart too, about the future. I recently read about some farmers in the midwest who were commisurating about this being such a bad year for them because of the lack of rain and high costs ie. fuel etc. All except one who said that he made money this year. He was Amish. Not tied in to the fuel-fertilizer agronomy. Doing it the same way that they always have. Speaks volumes.

6. Lararose

Lararose Adams Nebraska

I agree with woodspirit and wolf mom, we all need to be an active part of our government. I emailed my congressman detailing how this is affecting me. There is a reason your government officials look at popularity ratings and opinion polls. They want to keep their jobs. They work for us, we aren't their lackeys. Whenever I have asked my friends to write their representatives on an issue they usually say... that won't do any good. I always ask.. have you tried? They always say no....

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Price conttrols are usually a bad thing.

This is energy, a staple, so a little more serious than some other products.

But, I really hate price controls. Don't like the temporary price gouging any more than the rest of you, but I'd like to see nature take it's course on this beforre the govt trys to help us too hard....

Folks have their holiday trips planned; after this weekend, people will hunker down a bit, will be using their stockpiled gas we all horded, and things will (I think, hope) settle down a bit.

Long term I'm more worried about construction materials going into inflation - whether in New Orleans or somewhere around it, there are a _lot_ of housing & support rebuilding that needs to be done. Concrete & lumber & iron is going to go up, and partly because transportation costs more. But, far more demand as well.

Fuel prices will settle down on their own. We can cut back 10% on gasoline without bothering _any_ of us any at all, and that will ease the supply issues for now. I would hate for the govt to put us in a 'control' situation which, long term, is generally far worse for all.

--->Paul

8. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Paul, didn't Nixon use Price controls(a freeze) on Gasoline back in the 70's?

9. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

"Paul, didn't Nixon use Price controls(a freeze) on Gasoline back in the 70's?"

Carter did with disasterous results. A quote from an article from Walter WIlliams:

"Some Americans are demanding that the government do something about gasoline prices. Let's think back to 1979 when the government did do something. The Carter administration instituted price controls. What did we see? We saw long gasoline lines, and that's if the gas station hadn't run out of gas. It's estimated that Americans used about 150,000 barrels of oil per day idling their cars while waiting in line. In an effort to deal with long lines, the Carter administration introduced the harebrained scheme of odd and even days, whereby a motorist whose license tag started with an odd number could fill up on odd-numbered days, and those with an even number on even-numbered days.

With the recent spike in gas prices, the government has chosen not to pursue stupid policies of the past. As a result, we haven't seen shortages. We haven't seen long lines. We haven't seen gasoline station fights and riots. Why? Because price has been allowed to perform its valuable function -- that of equating demand with supply.

10. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Price controls do not work in a free market economy. It's basic capitalist economics. Look what happend in California with electric power price controls. Rolling blackouts all summer.

Cheap gas is no longer, people. If you are in a situation where a small increase in gas prices are going to ruin you financially, you must find a way to change something. Drive less, make more money, charge your customers a fuel surcharge, get a more efficient vehicle.

Prices will probably relax some this autumn and winter, with the reduction in traveling after labor day and bush releasing some oil from the reserves. But next summer is going to be even worse than what we're seeing now, so be ready!

11. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, write your congressmen.

No, don't ask for price fixes. That will just make the problem continue. Instead, ask for funding to alternative energy sources, for different cars that run on different fuels.

Ask that they ignore those oil lobbiests and start paying attention to the majority of america, who isn't getting rich. Ask that they look at the effect this is having on farmers, who can no longer irrigate. On truckers, who can no longer drive those long hauls, at the consumer, who will face shortages of food and consumer goods.

The congress is going to have to show some backbone and make something happen.

I'm writing.

12. Ralph Roces

Ralph Roces Member

I think you are right in certain things, but reality is, they want to sell us an idea a new idea, or an old not accepted idea. maybe ( gasoline from crops)??, or mass transportation system, that way the goverments or goverments, will be able to monitor the population going in and out of trains, they will be able to see when you went to work, and when you came back when you went to the market, and when you went to have an Ice cream with your wife., how many children you have and etc, etc. How they are going to achive this well they collapse the actual system, and after making us to suffer for a while the new system is going to be in place slow first and fast later, in the cities, horses and buggies or maybe bikes, or horses to go from the train to your home or office. This is comming, do you realize if you really believe in the bible, the last battles on Revelations are done on horses back?!! I don't know if you are a believer but I thinks this is just matter of time. In the mid-time start choosing for your favorite color for a horse and a good vet, I think we are going to need it.
    another observation I was told in all Universities, are easing the way to certain carrers like vet, and Horticulture, How about that, that sounds like Mechanics and energy production in my generation. Just matter of time, Just matter of time, Canada will fallow us.